Care Home Fees

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
Shared on fb - should have done that before now. Some friends (I haven't got many) have picked it up and shared too. I hope they all sign it too!

Ginny Hendricks

Feb 18, 2016
I've signed the petition and wholeheartedly support the campaign though I'm angered and dismayed by some of the comments on the petition page such as:

My dad is a self funder and paying a fortune he worked from 15 till retirement and paid all his taxes etc now he is still paying and receiving the same care as those who have never lifted a finger . This system is so unfair. It needs to be changed .

Of course the system's unfair and needs to be changed, but why denigrate those who, for whatever reason, lack the resources for self-funding? The idea that they 'never lifted a finger' is profoundly offensive towards people like my father who served in the war and paid taxes all his life, as is the suggestion in other comments that LA-supported residents pay nothing towards their fees when of course they pay all their income less 'spending money'. The only reason my father isn't self-funding is that my mother still lives in their house - and now has to claim pension credit because she's lost his income.

I appreciate that the petition itself is quite clear in simply wanting to end the indefensible discrepancy between the fees paid by self-funders and LAs; what a shame some of those commenting can't focus on this instead of making stupid and grossly unfair judgements on others.

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
I've signed the petition and wholeheartedly support the campaign though I'm angered and dismayed by some of the comments on the petition page such as:

My dad is a self funder and paying a fortune he worked from 15 till retirement and paid all his taxes etc now he is still paying and receiving the same care as those who have never lifted a finger . This system is so unfair. It needs to be changed .

Of course the system's unfair and needs to be changed, but why denigrate those who, for whatever reason, lack the resources for self-funding? The idea that they 'never lifted a finger' is profoundly offensive towards people like my father who served in the war and paid taxes all his life, as is the suggestion in other comments that LA-supported residents pay nothing towards their fees when of course they pay all their income less 'spending money'. The only reason my father isn't self-funding is that my mother still lives in their house - and now has to claim pension credit because she's lost his income.

I appreciate that the petition itself is quite clear in simply wanting to end the indefensible discrepancy between the fees paid by self-funders and LAs; what a shame some of those commenting can't focus on this instead of making stupid and grossly unfair judgements on others.

I have just signed the petition today. I agree with Ginny's comments, but hope this won't detract too much from the underlying argument. Let's do what we can to correct this unfair system. Only another 58 signatures needed. I hope this post gives this very worthwhile cause a well-deserved push to the finishing line!

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I am reposting this on here. Do sign if you feel that it is right for you, without signatures it will not even be debated.

I am just updating some information. A short while ago following a number of discussions on here about the care home fees and with the help of a couple of members of TP I started a petition. This is about fairness, it is not about taking away care from anyone, it is about making sure that we don't have a two tier system where Local Authorities are allowed to pay one level of fees per week and self funders pay another for exactly the same facilities and access to care

This is a link to the petition and a number of people have asked me to repost it so please have a look and if you are able to please share it with as many people as you can on facebook and twitter. In a very short space of time 249 people have signed.
https://www.change.org/p/fair-care-home-fees-for-all

If anyone has any suggestions then please do join in and let me know, I welcome as much input as I can get both positive and negative but at the moment the system is very unfair and I am surprised it has not been challenged before