Care Home fees

NickA

Mar 1, 2005
Southport
I think that you guys who are caring for parents with AD are stars - I was dropped in at short notice when my dad went into hospital and managed about 24 hours with my mother. Since his death, mum has gone downhill very fast and I worry what happens when the the nursing home cant cope anymore.

Having said that - nothing to do with my query which is about Personal Receivership, Insurance Bonds and CRAG.

Life insurance bonds are not treated as "assets" for the purpose of assessing the local authority contribution to care . Does anybody have any experience with the Court of Protection in this regard - most of my mums savings were tied up in these bonds and would the Court of Protection let me keep them there to shield them from the local authority ?

BTW Has anybody ever seen the Court of Protection people answer a letter in less than 2 weeks ?

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Nick, yes caring is hard work, your Dad must have done a grand job. I suggest you get in touch with the main Alzheimers helpline about your questions, they may well know the legal position on it all. With regard to the reply times, yes I did get my initial query back within two weeks and the receipt when we had to register the POA was about that amount of time. The finalisation was longer after Mum died though. Love She. XX

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Nick, as someone who battled with the Court of Protection for over 4 months las summer, (someone objected to my having Lionels POA, but thats another story) I found them less than efficient.

They lost letters, had different case workers owing to training etc, I even had to get my solicitor to write to them twice.

As Lionel was suicidal at this time, and I needed desparately to get things sorted, I took to phoning them every morningat 10am for an answer. After a week of concentrated effort they then got things sorted. I wish you the best of luck.
Regards, Connie