Care home fees

Mylucy

Jul 29, 2022
My wife is going to need EMI dementia nursing home care. If there are no suitable homes in this area that I can not possibly afford to top up do wirral council pay any extra money

Last edited:

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Mylucy and welcome to the forum.

I believe that the council have to offer a place in at least one home which would not require a top up. I’m not sure that it would have to be in your area if there’s nothing suitable there.

It’s a few years ago that my late dad was placed in a home but hopefully someone with more recent experience will be along soon to answer your questions.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
My wife is going to need EMI dementia nursing home care. If there are no suitable homes in this area that I can not possibly afford to top up do wirral council pay any extra money
Two points here.

1 I assume by your post that you are not self funding (that your wife’s savings and half of any joint savings adds up to less that £23,000)

2 do you have either or both Power of Attourney for her?

3. what you consider suitable and what the council considers suitable may be very different. You may need to lower your expectatio if you are not self funding.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Mylucy and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. You will find this to be a friendly and supportive community. I can't answer your question from personal experience as my wife's care home accepts the Local Authority rate. I suggest checking the council website as this will probably set out financial rules for social care. That may be too generic for your specific query. Talking to - and negotiating with - social services may be the best way forward. If you haven't done this recently, getting an adult needs assessment done may be a good way to identify your wife's needs and a plan to meet them.

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan