Care Home Fees

MaryMac54

Aug 23, 2019
Has anyone had this problem? My husband is going into a Care Home and has been in hospital for over 6 weeks. His liquid assets are below the upper threshold and would be elligilble for funding. However, we have and property which cannot be sold for over a year and will be difficult to sell, will not fetch a high value because of an impediment (which I am not allowed to discuss) and probably currently does not have a commercial value currently or in the immediate future. This had led to the Local Authority refusing to fund and say we have to self-fund. This is without any valuation or discussion on the matter. I have raised a dispute and asked for this to be disregarded and reviewed at least annually to check the situation as this may change. My concern is that the funds he has will run out in under 6 months and he will have no savings left and won't be able to fund his care or buy clothes, etc. I am concerned that this will lead to him being evicted without anywhere to go and no funds to obtain anything. Has anyone had any experience of this? As his Attorney would I become personally liable? Concerned that if he was made bankrupt the home I live in could be lost which is not used for calculation of his care home fees.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @MaryMac54
coming from a different angle .... would you be happy to sell the property regardless of it's 'worth', just to be rid of it and liquidate any assets .... as you say it hasn't sold, rather than it cannot be sold , might you put it in a local auction and let it go for whatever is offered
seems to me that any question of it's value would be answered by it not having sold so far and the auction will show what potential buyers are (and aren't) prepared to pay for it .... if there are no offers on it, then that surely evidences it's lack of value
sorry if this misses the mark

MaryMac54

Aug 23, 2019
hi @MaryMac54
coming from a different angle .... would you be happy to sell the property regardless of it's 'worth', just to be rid of it and liquidate any assets .... as you say it hasn't sold, rather than it cannot be sold , might you put it in a local auction and let it go for whatever is offered
seems to me that any question of it's value would be answered by it not having sold so far and the auction will show what potential buyers are (and aren't) prepared to pay for it .... if there are no offers on it, then that surely evidences it's lack of value
sorry if this misses the mark
Thanks that is an idea.

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
I think though that you have to pay the auctioneer's commission whether or not the house sells so that would be a risk. I looked at this briefly a short while ago and certainly the auction houses I looked at would have wanted paying. If it has an impediment though this makes it all moot as that appears to be a barrier to sale anyway. It seems grossly unfair that the local authority are taking the line they are in the circumstances. Will they not even consider a deferred fees arrangement or is it also the case that no restrictions can be registered on the property?

MaryMac54

Aug 23, 2019
I have now spend two whole days ringing around and researching and I don't know which way to go. the letter from the LA is clear and they don't want to compromise. My husband has become a commodity.