Care Home fees

mollymoo2

Feb 8, 2019
My Mums Alzheimer’s has recently dipped she went into respite care before Christmas but its evident and home confirmed also that it will not be in her best interests to go home. Myself and my Dad are devastated at how quick it has taken over. She isn’t my Mum anymore!
I have had a Bill today for £1100 to date they said it’s all going through the brokeridge just not done yet and not to worry.
Mum and Dad have their own house and I know the value isn’t taken into account while Dad is still living there and they have much less than the threshold in saving between them.They said they have means tested her and we will have to contribute £142.00 a week well I haven’t given them no details so don’t see how they have done an assessment and we can’t afford that each week and this was initially respite care. Do they have so many weeks free for respite and what do we do about the cost going forward.
My Dad is not well through the upset and worry he thinks they will take all his money. Also Dad wants to move from the house into a place with no stairs can he move still? thank yiu

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The £142 weekly is the amount calculated as your Mum's personal contribution towards her care. Your Dad does not have to pay anything towards the care home fees himself. Ask for written details of how this amount has been calculated. It will be based on your Mum's income only, such as pensions she receives.

mollymoo2

Feb 8, 2019
The £142 weekly is the amount calculated as your Mum's personal contribution towards her care. Your Dad does not have to pay anything towards the care home fees himself. Ask for written details of how this amount has been calculated. It will be based on your Mum's income only, such as pensions she receives.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @mollymoo2
Louise7 may be right about that amount... do ask for details and an explanation though as it may also be that they are asking you to pay a third party top-up and you are under no obligation to pay any top-up

However if this is the case, the home may not accept a resident who is only LA funded and your mum may have to move... in which case the LA have to offer at least one placement though this may not be one you would choose

mollymoo2

Feb 8, 2019
Hi @mollymoo2
Louise7 may be right about that amount... do ask for details and an explanation though as it may also be that they are asking you to pay a third party top-up and you are under no obligation to pay any top-up

However if this is the case, the home may not accept a resident who is only LA funded and your mum may have to move... in which case the LA have to offer at least one placement though this may not be one you would choose
Thank you