care home fees

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
My husband has gone into a care home and is self funding. He has a private pension. I know i will have to use all his state pension, attendance allowance for the fee but do I only use half his personal pension then top up with his savings - and does it mean I can use half his personal pension to support myself at home. I only work a few hours as that was all I could manage whilst he was at home so I will still have to supplement my monthly income from my savings (which is fine). Is it ok or does this qualify as profiting under the power of attorney? I don't want to get it wrong or store up issues for the future.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello. Has OH actually had a financial assessment as part of his admittance procedure? The reason I'm asking is that yes, you are correct about OH's state pension and AA plus 50% of his private pension,but any top up should not be paid from his savings I'm afraid. Sorry......
The good news is that you are entitled to keep and use the full half of his private pension for your personal use.

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
Thanks cragmaid. He hasn't had a financial assessment but the home charges the local authority rate so its not a top up as such, its just his pensions and attendance allowance doesn't cover the rate. I will ask for an assessment although they don't seem very interested as he is self funding. I realise when the local authority pay if they don't cover the full cost I would have to pay the top up but fortunately at this point there isn't one. I should have explained it better. We have been fortunate as the home my mom moved into doesn't charge a top up either.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
To answer your original post, yes, even if the LA were contributing to the home fees, you would be allowed to retain half your husband's private or occupational pension to help with your living costs. It's supposed to be at the discretion of the relevant LA but I think it probably is accepted as the norm.

It would be a very fortunate resident who could cover all home fees with their income and AA alone which is why a person's savings are assessed. Fortunate too, to have fees which compare equally with those paid by the LA. They are nearly 3 times as much hereabouts so usually mean savings run out quickly and topups are necessary once the LA come on board if compromises are not to be made.