Care home fees paid when person with dementia had less than threshold

Wilkins

Jul 13, 2011
London
Hi,
My Father's Cousin, Stan, was living in a care home in Brighton, but sadly died recently from dementia. My Father was in frequent touch with Stan but said social workers and solicitors had charge of Stan's money. It turns out that Stan's care home fees were being paid from his savings even though his capital had reduced to £3,500. (The lawyers also charged £850 for administering his estate after his death!) He kindly left his savings to my daughters who are in their 20s. Can they claim a refund of the care home fees?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You need legal advice.

From what you have said it appears that whoever was administering Stan's affairs did not act with due diligence to protect his capital.

Your complaint is against the person (or people) who were in control of his finances presumably acting as a Court of Protection Deputy.

Once again get legal advice, maybe CAB for starters.

Wilkins

Jul 13, 2011
London
Thank you!

Dear Nitram, thanks for this, its helpful. I will try the CAB.
Best wishes.

You need legal advice.

From what you have said it appears that whoever was administering Stan's affairs did not act with due diligence to protect his capital.

Your complaint is against the person (or people) who were in control of his finances presumably acting as a Court of Protection Deputy.

Once again get legal advice, maybe CAB for starters.