Care home fees increased by 21%!!

Tubbsy

Sep 5, 2010
Surrey
My mum has been in a private care home for nearly 2 years and is completely self funded; it's lovely, like a 5 star hotel and she's happy there and well cared for but I've just had a letter from them advising that her fees are going to go up by 21% from next month which equates to an extra £1000 per month! Is this usual and do people think its acceptable as I don't think I do!

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
My mum has been in a private care home for nearly 2 years and is completely self funded; it's lovely, like a 5 star hotel and she's happy there and well cared for but I've just had a letter from them advising that her fees are going to go up by 21% from next month which equates to an extra £1000 per month! Is this usual and do people think its acceptable as I don't think I do!
Hi, we had the same issue this month with Dad. The home is part of a large care provider. I wrote to them requesting a breakdown of the costings. It was well worth it, as they reduced the increase from 16% to 5%. Good luck x

Tubbsy

Sep 5, 2010
Surrey
Hi Leeds, thanks for your reply! That's very interesting....I will definitely do the same and see what happens. My mums home too is owned by a large (greedy) provider. I can't believe the cheek of it!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
That is high..dad's NH annual increases were between 8 to 11%. I always challenged them in hope more than expectation but their stock reply came back..increased staff costs...improving environment...increased overheads generally. Worth a try...

Tubbsy

Sep 5, 2010
Surrey
That is high..dad's NH annual increases were between 8 to 11%. I always challenged them in hope more than expectation but their stock reply came back..increased staff costs...improving environment...increased overheads generally. Worth a try...

They've written a long letter about what a good home it is, award winning, blah blah blah and how they're expecting increased costs for everything but I don't see how THAT much of an increase can be warranted. I don't believe for one second it's to go toward salaries and pensions for the staff, more likely towards the company building another care home! I will argue it as although my mum has the money, that's £12k extra this year and if they do the same next year, well, it's a lot of money and the pot won't last forever!