Care Home Fees Extortionate Rise

nessieck

Aug 30, 2014
My mother's CH has raised its fees by 5% for this year and cannot quantify to my satisfaction why they have done this, seemingly avoiding my questions and deviating from my queries. But I'm persistent! If I think the CH is exploiting a vulnerable lady with Alzheimer's, I want to know why. What do I get for this? Them threatening to effectively throw my mother out!!! Whilst I'm reeling at this (my mother's paying 4k a month!!!) I'd love to hear your thoughts. What I think cannot be repeated!!!

InnerGeek

Feb 9, 2016
Sorry this has come as a bit of a shock, that's a lot of money to be finding and even a small increase on such a large bill will be felt quite badly :(

This year I think a lot of people will see an unusual rise because the national living wage comes into effect from April. It's quite a steep jump from the previous national minimum wage and care homes will need to raise staff wages accordingly. Additionally their costs will go up with the rise in employer NI and pensions that they will have to pay in line with the wage increase. As I understand it, many local authorities have negotiated a smaller increase so there may also be a greater element than before of self-funders subsidising LA funding too, though I think there's always been a bit of this happening anyway.

The CH should certainly be able to explain their reason for the rise though, so I'd persist with asking them.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There was a thread a few weeks back about this and most seemed to be raising the fees by about 10% so you've got of lightly compared to most.
The impact of the living wage and workplace pensions all have to be paid for and as care is a labour intensive business wages are a big part of their costs.
Regrettably care is a private industry so the home doesn't have to justify the price rise to you anymore than one supermarket has to justify a higher prices it charges than the one down the road.
If it's part of a nationwide group then asking the manager isn't going to achieve anything it's all dictated by head office, it's not right but it is the way it is.
Supply and demand usually fixes the price and at the moment demand is outstripping supply so they can get away with it.
Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear but I think there's plenty of people would envy a 5% increase.
K

Missy

Dec 18, 2006
My FILS home has gone up by 5% and my Aunt's by 7.5% the letters we received stated the rise in wages to the national living wage and autoenrolement into Pensions as two main factors.

An increase of 70p an hour 24 hours a day for all the staff in a care home comes to quite a lot of money!

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Actually I think it is a rip off and it is being used to cover the fees of those supported by the LA who have cut their contribution. I am still working on finding out what the situation is in our area with a freedom of informaiton. I think you are absolutely right to query it and I would continue to query it - some people have found that by challenging it every step of the way they get a reduction in the amount originally quoted so keep going. I'll let you know if I get any info about this area

curtainsgalore

Nov 2, 2014
My Mums CH has put self funders fees up by 9.5%, while the LA is only paying a 3.5% increase from April. It should be a level playing field an we should all pay the same. Self funders shouldn't be subsidising the LAs shortfall. Grrrrr

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

nessieck

Aug 30, 2014
There's going to be a conversation with the finance director today. The fees are one thing; a threat to remove my mom from her safe secure surroundings is something else completely. Thanks again for your posts. I'll update the thread when I've spoken them