Care Home dilemma

Kat loves milk tray

Jan 1, 2019
My Dad has been in a care home since last December due to his Alzheimer’s and the aggression he displays.
I feel like I’m always complaining about one thing or another and feel staff must dread it when I visit my Dad.
It’s basic stuff like today when I visited there was no toilet roll in Dads toilet. I always have to ask for hand towels as they go to wash but never come back.
I have observed on 3 occasions when visiting the residents toilet never has any paper or hand towels. Not sure if there is soap actually.
The home has been closed to visitors twice within a month due to sickness and diarrhoea. Is there any wonder!
Today a carer was cutting residents nails. She was doing this in the dining area and went from one resident to another without cleaning the nail clippers.
Really worried about the care they give my Dad as sometimes he looks neglectful.
On Wednesday I observed Dad had a sore on his little toe. District nurse was informed and came out, putting a dressing on it but today there was no dressing on it and it looked a lot worse.
Feel I’m always telling the staff when it’s just basic care they should be doing. Feel quite sad about it all today.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Don’t worry about complaining. I am sure your Dad is paying enough to be there and I don’t think what you are highlighting is unreasonable. As you say they are basic things. There should be toilet paper there, there should be hand towels there. I know when I visit my Mum I have had to chase up the cleaner about these very things but in my Mum’s case she sits in her en suite for long periods of time and the cleaner doesn’t like to disturb her and so it is sometime left undone. Could this be the case with your Dad?
Also re: nails it doesn’t sound like good practice. I cut my Mum’s nails and we always do it in the privacy of her room.
I know how seeing this can make you feel down because it’s upsetting to see someone you love who is vulnerable looking neglected. Keep on ‘educating’ them -it’s not complaining. Hopefully if you pick them up on it each time- no raised voices or accusations but being firm about what should be done they will raise their game - don’t lower your standards.

ChocolateBrownie

Nov 21, 2018
One of the problems can be that messages simply do not get passed on from one set of carers to another.
We have been explaining about PWDs clothing and how they wish to be dressed for months - in the end, I had to write to the manager and ask for it to be communicated to everyone and put on the care plan.

Kat loves milk tray

Jan 1, 2019
Don’t worry about complaining. I am sure your Dad is paying enough to be there and I don’t think what you are highlighting is unreasonable. As you say they are basic things. There should be toilet paper there, there should be hand towels there. I know when I visit my Mum I have had to chase up the cleaner about these very things but in my Mum’s case she sits in her en suite for long periods of time and the cleaner doesn’t like to disturb her and so it is sometime left undone. Could this be the case with your Dad?
Also re: nails it doesn’t sound like good practice. I cut my Mum’s nails and we always do it in the privacy of her room.
I know how seeing this can make you feel down because it’s upsetting to see someone you love who is vulnerable looking neglected. Keep on ‘educating’ them -it’s not complaining. Hopefully if you pick them up on it each time- no raised voices or accusations but being firm about what should be done they will raise their game - don’t lower your standards.

Kat loves milk tray

Jan 1, 2019
Many thanks. I am going to raise this with the manager next week and see if she can rectify some of my concerns. I realise if I don’t then nothing will change.
My dad cannot ask for towels or toilet paper so I need to speak on his behalf ..

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27