Care home costs

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
maybe it was the criteria of the particular home i worked in. we had very few that stayed until deceased. maybe it was staffing levels
Yes, individual care homes can indeed set their own criteria. Some will not accept people who wander, go into other peoples rooms, or are up at night. Some will not accept incontinence. Mums care home would accept people who needed a hoist and would look after them right up to the end. Mum passed away in her care home. The GP prescribed the medication needed and district nurses sorted out the pain relief, syringe driver, etc.

I always say that it is a good idea to ask any potential care home what conditions/behaviour that a care home wouldnt accept, because there is so much variation.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I found the hospital social worker very helpful when mum was in hospital last April. Everyone agreed that she should not be discharged back home and the hospital social worker looked for a suitable care home - very difficult at the start of the pandemic! It took her five weeks to process the application and mum remained in hospital in the meantime although she was no longer ill nor bed bound. I’m sure the hospital were desperate for the bed but no pressure was put on us.

You might find it helpful to get the hospital social care team involved if they are not already involved.

prittlewell

Jan 28, 2020
Some of these weekly costs seem extreme, and maybe for nursing care, as opposed to dementia residential care.

In Essex we pay £830 per week for Mum, in a quite good home. However, there are quite a few others offering care from about £580 per week.

When Mum went in it was important for her to have an ‘en suite’ room, but now she is incontinent and spends most of her time in bed as she is now unable to walk, an en suite room is of little benefit.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Here in Stockport, Greater Manchester, care home fees for dementia residents are high, between £900 and £1200 a week, mum pays £950 for her room in a not for profit home - no shareholders or owners making a profit so more money goes into facilities and a higher staff ratio.