Care home costs & health assessments

lm176

Aug 10, 2012
Hi all,

New user here and not sure if this sort of thing has been posted before but I could really do with some help and advice.

My step-nan has dementia and has had for nearly 8 years. She is in a care home but her health is declining - she recently broke both her hips, is unable to walk, is incontinent, unable to wash and dress, forgets medication etc. The care home felt she needed to be moved to a nursing home to meet her needs, which has been done, however the problem is this:

My nan had a nursing assessment recently (before all notes had been received from the previous home) and the result was that she was not entitled to the full cost of funding for nursing care. When my dad and step mum questioned this it became apparent that during the assessment, when my step mum had stepped out to get tea for them all, the nurse had continued to question my nan and my nan had denied that she was incontinent, had said she was able to walk, had no breathing problems etc.... basically she lied, though I think this is a bit strong due to her mental health state. My nan now denies that she said all these things.

The main crux of the problem is this:

My nan needs nursing care and would be entitled to funding if she had not 'told fibs' when my step mum wasn't in the room. Part of me is inclined to think that she has forgotten that she has these health issues, particularly with the broken hips, as 7 years ago she would forget that she had eaten half an hour ago and would tell my dad she had not, when I had made her lunch. My dad and step-mum are now having to fund the costs and only my dad works and he is on a low income. Are there any ways round this? What can we do to resolve the situation? I've worked for adult social services as an admin and thought that when it is clear that someone does not have mental capacity they should not be questioned in this regard without the next of kin/deputy/power of attourney etc present as it could have a detrimental effect on their health if they answer wrongly as my nan has, however I can't find any legal information regarding this that I would be able to argue this point. Is this correct? Can we argue the assessment? I'm desperate to get my nan the help she needs, but my dad has already had one breakdown due to financial strain and I don't want to see all that happen again.

Any advice or help would be really appreciated. The quicker we can get this resolved the better. Sorry it seems like I've waffled on, it is a complicated situation to explain and it has been going on for some time now.

Thank you,

Lauren

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

I assume this was an assessment for NHS continuing care? I ask because there is also something called nursing care which is considerably less (and I can't imagine your Nan wouldn't qualify for that). There is a group attached to the Society that helps people with appeals for NHS CC. Have a look at this page

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=398

Chemmy has also made a good point about the fees - either your Nan is self-funding because of her assets or the LA should be paying.

lm176

Aug 10, 2012
Hi,

Thank you for your help. I forgot to mention that my dad, his partner and my nan had moved out to Spain for a few years before my nan was officially diagnosed, though it had already been apparent that she was 'getting a bit forgetful' by this point. When they returned to the UK they were told that they were 'aliens' as they had been out of the country for a number of years and therefore weren't entitled to any benefits etc. Therefore my dad and his partner were paying for the care, though they do not have any assests.

To be honest, that's why I had got so confused, I was sure the LA should be paying but it got complicated and I accepted it on the grounds that they had been out of the country. They've been back in the UK for 3 1/2 years now though, that's why I've now questioned it.

Thank you again for your help and I'll look into this further.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think after 6 months person is considered ordinarily resident. I'm a British citizen living abroad and that was my understanding of the situation if I chose to return.

I'll see if I can find some links for you.

lm176

Aug 10, 2012
Thank you very very much. It's such a difficult and upsetting situation for everyone involved!! I've trawled through endless pages of legalities and can't seem to find the things that would clarify the situation at least, I've gone cross eyed and got even more confused reading it all!!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Last edited: