Care home contracts and helping settling in

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
How could they possibly know that when the care starts being needed - uness they have millions of course!
I would have thought it was quite simple to work out how much a CH will cost per year and then have a good guess at the number of years and see if there is enough capital.

It is mentioned on here many a time that it is better to self fund and not involve the LA at all so obviously some people must be able to do it.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I think a lot of people do manage to do it, especially when the resident is the remaining spouse so has a house to be included in the assessment.
However, there is no knowing how long a person will be in a home and around here the fees are £1,000 a week.
My husband was only in his NH for a day under 3 years but there were others there who had been there over 10 years, some old enough to be my husband's mother. There is no way of knowing.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
There is no way of knowing.
But people still have the choice if they want and many do. That is all I am saying.:rolleyes:

Even if they decide to and the money runs out they will still be able to get help from the LA although there may well be problems with whether the care cap comes into affect or not. Who knows?

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
But people still have the choice if they want and many do. That is all I am saying.:rolleyes:

Even if they decide to and the money runs out they will still be able to get help from the LA although there may well be problems with whether the care cap comes into affect or not. Who knows?

I wonder if LAs would do the calculation retrospectively for the 'cap' by working out how many weeks a person had been in care x the LA rate. But I suppose they would not know of the person would have been assessed as needing residential care at the time they moved in. Think I would on the whole be asking for an assessment now just to get 'logged' into the system, even if I would be self-funding for a good few years.