Care home concerns

TV66

Jul 27, 2022
I previously posted about my concern that my dad was not having adequate care, despite discussing this with the manager several times and eventually emailing her nothing has changed. We decided to look at other homes and we have found a lovely place nearer to myself and it just depend on how the assessment goes to see if he’s suitable and will accept him. This was not an easy decision to make and I am very anxious we are doing the right thing as it will be disruptive for my dad. Does anybody have any advice how we can manage this in a way that makes it easier for him?
We will also take a big hit financially as we will have an overlap and have to pay for an extra month as notice has to be given. It doesn’t seem fair when the care has not been up to standard.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @TV66 sorry to hear that your discussions with the care home manager about your dad's care didn't change things. I hope the home that you like will be able to take him - do you have any alternative homes in mind, just in case they say that they can't take him?

I can see from your previous posts that your dad has been in his current home since last year and although a move can be disruptive that isn't necessarily always the case. Factors such as your father's condition, how far the journey is to the new home etc need to be considered but it may be that after some initial disruption your dad might soon settle well into his new home. If the home do agree to take him after their assessment have a chat with the new manager about how they will manage the move and help your dad to settle in with as little disruption as is possible. If he has some favourite things in his current room such as photos, pictures, cushions etc make sure that they are placed in his new room when he arrives as familiar things will help. It's also worth letting the new home know about any specific routines that he has currently as that may help too. Hope this is useful for you but keep posting as I'm sure that others will have some advice/tips too.