Care home charges

Nikkij

Dec 18, 2017
Hi there
Dad has been in a private room since he went into a care home a couple of years ago. Mobility issues have arisen just recently and the manager is suggesting he goes into a shared room so there is more space to use a hoist and tilt in space chair.
Now the manager said to me 'we won't put the charge up' and this surprised me as I always thought sharing a room would be cheaper - for obvious reasons.
Is this right that shared rooms are more expensive?
Thanks for your help
Nikki

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think it is swings and roundabouts.
Shared rooms are usually cheaper, but requiring hoisting means higher care and so the care fees would normally go up.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Care homes are not, in my view, very good at explaining things like this. Probably good to check with the manager to be clear what things do or do not affect the fees. You may be referred to head office, but persevere as this sort of information ought to be really clear, and isn't. Money is a big worry for all of us and small things like clarity around fees (which we have no control over) would help somewhat.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I would also make sure you feel your dad would be able to adjust to sharing and seek assurance from the manager to protect his dignity, privacy etc and that the other occupant will not impact on your dad and vice versa. You may not have/be given a choice but personally I would not have wanted a share room for my dad and any other occupant wouldn't have either with all his various challenges.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I agree with
I think it is swings and roundabouts.
Shared rooms are usually cheaper, but requiring hoisting means higher care and so the care fees would normally go up

However if, as I suspect, your Dad has been self funding for two years I would play hardball and query the amount of floor area in the private room.

Self funders rates are at least 50% more than LA rates, they owe him something as a long term self funder.

Nikkij

Dec 18, 2017
Care homes are not, in my view, very good at explaining things like this. Probably good to check with the manager to be clear what things do or do not affect the fees. You may be referred to head office, but persevere as this sort of information ought to be really clear, and isn't. Money is a big worry for all of us and small things like clarity around fees (which we have no control over) would help somewhat.

You're right. We do need to get guidance.

Nikkij

Dec 18, 2017
I would also make sure you feel your dad would be able to adjust to sharing and seek assurance from the manager to protect his dignity, privacy etc and that the other occupant will not impact on your dad and vice versa. You may not have/be given a choice but personally I would not have wanted a share room for my dad and any other occupant wouldn't have either with all his various challenges.

It's not something I want really but I don't think most of the private rooms there would be accessible for the chair he needs. And given that at the moment he is in complete isolation as they say they can't move him and he has gone very much downhill due to that, it might actually be better for him to have some company. A DOLs person from social services is visitng next week and we're hoping for better guidance.

JEL66

Mar 18, 2017
The care home asked me to consider my mum sharing with another resident and having a reduction in her fees. I was not keen on this as the other resident gets her care paid for and my mum is self funding. They were only willing to reduce it by £20 a week. My conversation with the manager was very interesting. My Mum enjoys her own room and will continue to do so while she’s paying for it.
Hope you get things sorted