Care home can no longer meet Das needs .

Thisledome1

Sep 29, 2014
Iam at my wits end my Dad is 96 suffering with dementia living in a care home .
In the past two months he has deteriorated mentally .
Hewonders about and goes into other residents bedrooms when they are in bed only the female rooms ,although the care home are not sure if anything has happened inappropriately ,last night they had to report the incident to the police and the night manager said it looks like that they can no longer meet my Dads needs .
I have to ring the care home this morning and speak to the manager to see what happens now ,I need some advice on what I need to do now ,do I get a social worker involved ,can they just remove my Dad from the home ,bearing in mind he pays £650 per week for his stay there ,because he has savings .
Iam 71 now and not in good health ,I fear this will put me over the edge .
Can any one help me .

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)

Did you have social services involvement when your dad went into this home?

Has the GP checked his medications recently? Maybe they need adjusting.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
As cat says, contact his GP to see if his medication can be tweaked, but TBH, unless there is something like an infection it sounds just like the progression of dementia.

Unfortunately the CH can, indeed, serve notice on your dad if they feel that his needs exceed their ability to meet them. They have a responsibility to his and also to other residents safety.
Im guessing that this is a general CH that also accepts people with dementia rather than a dedicated dementia CH. The reason I say this is because mum is in a dementia CH, this sort of thing happens all the time (mum will often find a bed and sleep in it, whether its hers or not) and the carers know how to deal with it.
I think it would probably be a good idea to start looking at dedicated dementia units. Talk to the managers and ask them what sort of behaviour they would not be able to cope with. Even if your dad is enabled to stay at his present CH for the time being it sounds as though he would probably have to move at some stage.

Thisledome1

Sep 29, 2014
Thankyou ,for responding .
I spent all day yesterday looking at care homes with an emi unit and finally found one which I thought was very good it's a bupa care home .they are sending someone to assess him so hopefully they will take him as my Dad is self funding so we don't need a social worker involved i saw two care homes that I wouldn't even put my dog in .
Dads care home have had the Dr to him to check him over there was no water infection ,and they have taken blood ,and generally checked him over .
This care home that Dad is in is not geared up for advanced dementia residents ,they have said there is rush to him ,but I go holiday in 3/4 weeks and I would like all to in place by then I can't expect my daughter to do it all she has really been a big help to me as it is .
Jean

Thisledome1

Sep 29, 2014
Thankyou ,for responding .
I spent all day yesterday looking at care homes with an emi unit and finally found one which I thought was very good it's a bupa care home .they are sending someone to assess him so hopefully they will take him as my Dad is self funding so we don't need a social worker involved i saw two care homes that I wouldn't even put my dog in .
Dads care home have had the Dr to him to check him over there was no water infection ,and they have taken blood ,and generally checked him over .
This care home that Dad is in is not geared up for advanced dementia residents ,they have said there is no rush for him to move ,but I go holiday in 3/4 weeks and I would like all to in place by then I can't expect my daughter to do it all she has really been a big help to me as it is .
Jean

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I'm glad you have found somewhere you are happy to move your husband to and hope the assessment goes well.
May I, as a daughter, gently suggest that your daughter would be more than happy to see to any arrangements for you at any time - she sounds a lovely daughter and I'm sure knows that you don't 'expect' anything of her BUT no doubt very much wants to help and hopes you will call on her immediately should you need anything at all - helping her mother and grandfather would give her much pleasure.

Last edited: