Care Home Cameras

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
According to Daybreak TV this morning , it is being mooted that the powers that be are going to put secret cameras into Care Homes. I am of two minds on this one as in the case of our elderly , do we really want cameras watching their every move, being operated by someone in a control centre. I think not. There again where suspicions are felt in a situation then may be there would be a case for it.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I totally believe in this, how can those without a voice have a voice without it? I have used a hidden tape to establish elder abuse and I'd have done it again and again and again.

What is the choice? To allow those who would abuse the vulnerable to go unhindered.

If people have nothing to fear, they have nothing to worry about with the cameras.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
CQC considers using hidden cameras

CQC considers using hidden cameras to monitor services
Chief inspector of adult social care plans to make services more user-focused and give inspection system a 'fresh start'

The Care Quality Commission's chief inspector of adult social care has said the regulatory body will discuss using "mystery shoppers" and hidden cameras to monitor care services in future.
Andrea Sutcliffe, who was appointed to the role in July, pointed out that the media have already used such methods to draw attention to substandard care in documentaries such as the BBC Panorama expose on Winterbourne View care home in Bristol in 2011.

http://www.theguardian.com/social-care-network/2013/oct/15/cqc-andrea-sutcliffe-adult-social-care

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
The problem lies in recruiting people with the wrong attitude and aptitude; and not helping those who have aptitude with further training to facilitate and build on the great caring skills that they possess.

Failing that, would I want cameras watching Mum and my MIL? Would I mind cameras watching me when I cared for Mum or care for my MIL since most abuse happens in the house? We received direct payment funding and no-one ever came to check even though I invited them to drop in unannounced any time.

It's tricky - but I'd vote for cameras. Emotional abuse, medication withheld, over-sedation, physical abuse, neglect - against big brother human rights not be monitored? As a carer, it wouldn't bother me and there are ways to protect the modesty of those whom I care for.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Camera's Yes, no problem- why hidden?

Surely knowing big brother was watching would be constructive? I guess that would just force abuse in bathrooms etc

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
It's a tough one, but to me, if there was the slightest doubt about standards of care, I think I would want the cameras.

As regards privacy/dignity, IMO a lot would depend on whether the person themselves would be bothered. My own mother is way past caring about such things, but I think I would feel very differently if she were merely very frail without dementia, and still the intensely private person she was before.

Must say I am often very glad she is now no more concerned about privacy re toileting etc. than a 2 year old - how much more distressing the disease would be for her if she were.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
IMO, its criminal that things have been allowed to get so bad that cameras and mystery shoppers are now being considered to monitor the care or lack of it given to our most vulnerable people.

Personally I am not against cameras' but, what does concern me great deal, is how will the dignity or the privacy of the caree be preserved?
The last thing I would want is the caree being taped while being given personal care. To me it wouldnt matter one whit that the caree is unaware of being filmed in these situations, its still degrading.

IMO The CQC should be better staffed so they can do regular , relevant unannounced checks, regularly on all care homes and use mystery carers as well
Every complaint should be thoroughly investigated and guilty parties severely dealt with.

Last edited:

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
IMO, its criminal that things have been allowed to get so bad that cameras and mystery shoppers are now being considered to monitor the care or lack of it given to our most vulnerable people.

Personally I am not against cameras' but, what does concern me great deal, is how will the dignity or the privacy of the caree be preserved?
The last thing I would want is the caree being taped while being given personal care. To me it wouldnt matter one whit that the caree is unaware of being filmed in these situation s, its still degrading.

And if the caree was being abused during this time how would anyone know? Thankfully abuse is the minority, and sharing of the films would have to be hugely monitored/restricted, but at times in order to maintain dignity, cameras are required. IMO anyway,

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I too have reservations about privacy and dignity, but I must also say that knowing cameras were being used would also give me peace of mind if my mam was in a home. Otherwise who knows what goes on behind closed doors?

I suppose for a carer intent on abuse there will always be ways round the cameras; blind spots, bathrooms, etc., but I think it could help to at least lessen the problem.

I'm not sure how I'd feel as a carer, though, having my every move filmed. Not so much being filmed, actually, but just dealing with the thought that I couldn't be trusted.

It's a really difficult and sensitive issue, I think.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
I'm not sure cameras in community areas would really make a difference, in MIL's care home there's nearly always a visitor around and my personal feeling is that friends and rellies should have a greater say.

virg

Jan 13, 2010
cheshire
Apart from the dignity issue, my other problem with cameras is that an isolated incident seen on camera could be taken wrongly. e.g. My mum has problems with her knees/back and sometimes when she needs to get up, the care assistants come and stand her up but with many yelps and shouts from my Mum. This in isolation could be seen as some sort of cruelty as obviously my Mum is in discomfort, but the truth is that she has to be got up and a swift lift is less painful in the long run than a prolonged one. This is in a home where generally, we feel the standard of care and the standard of carers is good.