Care home blocking arranged move to new care home

oldcrow

Apr 25, 2015
Hi,
I have 2 relatives in care and after the current home began to fail, I have spent the last month sorting out new placements with the help of Social services, who has approved of the move. They were formally informed about the move by the social worker and I gave them written notice. The first response I've had from them, days later when I thought all was sorted, is a threat of legal action if I try to move my relatives and they state I have no right or authorisation to move them. Of course this is rubbish. They accepted my authority to place them.
I've puzzled over this but finally come to the informed conclusion that its about money, my relatives are simply income streams to them which are about to disappear.
I'm desperate to get them out fast without any further ado before any more problems befall them. Any thoughts?
I only did this after trying for months to sort out a serious failing of communications and consultation which has meant that a number of issues that arose could not be resolved. I tried various options, including going down the complaints route. They never changed their stance. It's their way or no way. Even the social worker and the new care home manager was obstructed in their attempts to do assessments.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi,

Any thoughts?

Move them according to your own schedule? You've given the old home written notice, they are moving to a new home, I don't see anything here other than sabre rattling. If you were moving them to an unsafe situation you might have issue, but from one home to another with appropriate notice? Nah.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
Should the new home wish to see your relatives current care records, then I hope they are accurate and up to date.

oldcrow

Apr 25, 2015
Move them according to your own schedule? You've given the old home written notice, they are moving to a new home, I don't see anything here other than sabre rattling. If you were moving them to an unsafe situation you might have issue, but from one home to another with appropriate notice? Nah.
Hi,
thanks. I probably will do that if they don't give up by the end of the week. They're actually opposing the social services legal team.

oldcrow

Apr 25, 2015
Has a DOLS been put in place and they are over reacting?

No one can find out what they're reacting to. They won't or can't explain themselves.
the home is opposing the whole legal team of the social services on this.
If it is DOLs I'm my mother's representative anyway.

oldcrow

Apr 25, 2015
Should the new home wish to see your relatives current care records, then I hope they are accurate and up to date.
Hi,
I've just been in with the CHC assessor to see my uncle. The records were out of date by 4 months in one important area and bits and pieces were missing in others. This is another reason I want him moved.

tweetypie

Mar 16, 2012
Hi,
I have 2 relatives in care and after the current home began to fail, I have spent the last month sorting out new placements with the help of Social services, who has approved of the move. They were formally informed about the move by the social worker and I gave them written notice. The first response I've had from them, days later when I thought all was sorted, is a threat of legal action if I try to move my relatives and they state I have no right or authorisation to move them. Of course this is rubbish. They accepted my authority to place them.
I've puzzled over this but finally come to the informed conclusion that its about money, my relatives are simply income streams to them which are about to disappear.
I'm desperate to get them out fast without any further ado before any more problems befall them. Any thoughts?

I only did this after trying for months to sort out a serious failing of communications and consultation which has meant that a number of issues that arose could not be resolved. I tried various options, including going down the complaints route. They never changed their stance. It's their way or no way. Even the social worker and the new care home manager was obstructed in their attempts to do assessments.

How soon can the new care home take your relative?

If any sooner than the month's notice, then move your relative as soon as possible.

I'm saying this just in case the home start anything towards your relative.

I had this with my mum in one care home I'd put her in.

The vile manager there put an alert on my mum which meant I couldn't go and visit her and social services started an investigation into me!

This was because she was unhappy at "all the work done and the loss of income" - as this is all many care homes worry about. She hadn't done any work in my opinion and in fact my mum was so covered in bruises and suffered an extreme loss of weight since going in the home that I was very concerned and worried.

They might make you pay for the time your relative isn't there if she leaves early, but I think that is money well spent! Good luck!