Care home assessment tomorrow

Worthitprincess

Aug 11, 2016
Hi all

Dreading tomorrow yet also thinking this could be positive at the same time.

Mum not been too bad this afternoon and has generally been her normal self and today has been her first full day without anti biotics. Although this morning she was convinced she was going out for a meal somewhere and was ready to leave the house :( it's so difficult to tell how vivid the next hallucination is going to be or whether it's just going to be short and brief.

I can only pray tomorrow will go smoothly although I know mum won't leave the house without a fight. We are going along the lines of you have been quite poorly and you are going to this place to get better....I really hope she buys it. I'm so nervous yet relieved I can have extra help with this. If anything for the social element as it's 5:30 and mum has already gone back up to bed!

My uncle will come down Wednesday morning to take her and I'll follow suit with the cat all being well...:this could be the best thing for her since dad passed away. She's so young though, she's only 68 [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Will be thinking of you tomorrow
Sending hugs
Ros
Hi all

Dreading tomorrow yet also thinking this could be positive at the same time.

Mum not been too bad this afternoon and has generally been her normal self and today has been her first full day without anti biotics. Although this morning she was convinced she was going out for a meal somewhere and was ready to leave the house :( it's so difficult to tell how vivid the next hallucination is going to be or whether it's just going to be short and brief.

I can only pray tomorrow will go smoothly although I know mum won't leave the house without a fight. We are going along the lines of you have been quite poorly and you are going to this place to get better....I really hope she buys it. I'm so nervous yet relieved I can have extra help with this. If anything for the social element as it's 5:30 and mum has already gone back up to bed!

My uncle will come down Wednesday morning to take her and I'll follow suit with the cat all being well...:this could be the best thing for her since dad passed away. She's so young though, she's only 68 [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Worthitprincess

Aug 11, 2016
They were absolutely amazing. The lady was a psychiatric nurse and delt with mum amazingly. And said I have a huge hotel you can come and stay if you want. Mums processing it at the moment and isn't sure but hoping she will go with it on wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
That was so good.it sound like the cpn was really onboard and knew what was needed,and how to suggest it to your mum
I do hope you get her to go on wed.
Would it be worth finding some photos of the 'hotel' to convince her!
You must be very relieved
Ros
They were absolutely amazing. The lady was a psychiatric nurse and delt with mum amazingly. And said I have a huge hotel you can come and stay if you want. Mums processing it at the moment and isn't sure but hoping she will go with it on wednesday.

Worthitprincess

Aug 11, 2016
Yes I have just spoken to the lady and they are going to move her into the reminiscence unit instead of assisted living which I am so surprised about! It's good to know she will get the level of care she requires and I can get a rest as I am so exhausted! Pictures are being sent this afternoon so looking forward to seeing those and it's just a case of packing clothes and toiletries until she settles. X

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
really good news worthitprincess
I wonder whether it would be best to not discuss this any further with your mum, just in case she begins to resist - better to leave her with a positive
on the day, act as though you are just going out for a treat and arrange that you have a cuppa and cake (take in her favourite) in the lounge when you arrive, then go see her room and say how lovely it is that she gets to stay in such a pleasant place with such thoughtful staff, as though it's all a done deal; no fuss, no explanations
leave as your mum's going into the dining room for a meal - say you're off to do some shopping, or just slip out while the staff settle her for the meal
seems unkind, but this isn't an easy time and the staff will help her
have something nice to do afterwards, for yourself, so you don't just fret
best wishes

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Yes I have just spoken to the lady and they are going to move her into the reminiscence unit instead of assisted living which I am so surprised about! It's good to know she will get the level of care she requires and I can get a rest as I am so exhausted! Pictures are being sent this afternoon so looking forward to seeing those and it's just a case of packing clothes and toiletries until she settles. X

Oh wow, that sounds great. I really hope things go well for you and your Mum. Please let us know. Xx

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
That's brilliant!
You obviously had a really good lady come out and not only did she make suggestions,she has moved forward and got it sorted for you.
It's a bit move,but hopefully will be the right one
It is so nice to read something positive
Best wishes
Ros

Worthitprincess

Aug 11, 2016
Well I've made it out it's a holiday for her. I'm so pleased she's so positive about it, no mention of care home or residential home. I'm hoping she will love it there so much she will forget about the life she had in her house on her own lonely and isolated. I've even said her imaginary friend Daniel can come too which also worked to my advantage. She's taking it well so far...and loved the idea of me being close to her but still thinks she will come back here...I suppose cross that bridge when we get to it unless anyone has any advice as ideally I don't really want her back here? X

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Well I've made it out it's a holiday for her. I'm so pleased she's so positive about it, no mention of care home or residential home. I'm hoping she will love it there so much she will forget about the life she had in her house on her own lonely and isolated. I've even said her imaginary friend Daniel can come too which also worked to my advantage. She's taking it well so far...and loved the idea of me being close to her but still thinks she will come back here...I suppose cross that bridge when we get to it unless anyone has any advice as ideally I don't really want her back here? X

Dont tell her shes not coming back - never tell her that!
Come up with a good "reason" whay she cant go back just at the moment

It would be rude to leave before the end of the week
There is a problem with her heating at home - much nicer to stay here while it is being fixed
Its far to cold/wet/late in the day to go now
Whatever else works

Rinse and repeat as required

Worthitprincess

Aug 11, 2016
Thank you canary, your advice helps a great deal. I've found out in the past few hours a few lies are good because it's the only way to convince her. Luckily I took drama in school so am pretty good at acting lol! X