Care home assault

Jenn

Feb 24, 2009
Leeds
Sorry for upsetting people by posting this, but something dreadful has happened to my husband's grandmother. She was seriously sexually assaulted in a care home a few days ago by one of the other residents. The police are considering if he is fit enough to charge, as they both have dementia.
It raises the question of strangers living closely together in a care home, care home security and changes in personality in people with dementia.
I don't know how badly she took it, surely terribly - her short term memory is poor, but it must exacerbate the dementia greatly. My husband's family are so upset they don't want to discuss it with us and we live at opposite ends of the country so I only know the bare details. It's just awful, I've been struggling to get my head round it all day. It is apparently a council run care home that is due to close shortly and the staff, my in-laws say, 'don't care' - admittedly I'm getting this secondhand.
I just want people to know to consider the dangers. I know this must be really rare, and I don't want to give people nightmares.

Last edited:

brambles

Sep 22, 2014
NW England
Oh Jenn,

How absolutely awful for you all.

I really don't know what to say but hope your poor husbands grandmother forgets about the incident quickly.

Love brambles x

Jenn

Feb 24, 2009
Leeds
Oh I do hope so... It's one of those things you can't wipe out of your mind
Thanks for replying
Jenn

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Im sure this is a very are event for this to actually happen. I would think the staff usually pick up on whats going on well before anything moves on. However this did happen in a home where the staff are all distracted by the misery of being worried about their jobs... no excuse at all but a reason I guess.

There is guilt attached to having a relative go into a home unless they hop skip and jump into it to take that guilt away, and then something awful like this happens. I feel sorry for all involved. I hope that your grandma in law has already forgotten what happened and is moving on to whatever else is going on such as dinner or organised activities. Dementia does have its blessings at times.

Big hugs to you x

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
This is dreadful, I'm so sorry. I don't have any advice but just wanted to say something even though I don't really know what to say. Sending you a hug seems inadequate, but it's all I can do. Thinking of you all, and hoping your husband's grandmother recovers quickly and forgets this terrible time.

Xx