Care Home and Respite top-up fees

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
My mother is now in respite care for two weeks after a brief stay in EAU and a tiring night for us all in A & E. We have been told there is a top-up fee of £60 per week for my mothers stay. I understand this is because some places do not accept council contract rates, so people like us have to pay an additional fee. We've had to accept this so that at least our mother gets the rest and recovery she deserves.

My immediate worry is if we have to pay this when she goes into permanent nursing care (due to her dementia). As I live in the North West , is there any one that has experience of these things. Are they anything to worry about ? My main concern is that places may charge what they like, now or in the future.

I'd also be glad to hear from any one if they have successfully dealt with this issue.

To date , our social worker has sent us a list of homes for us to investigate. I'm also concerned that any delays will effect my mothers recovery and overall health.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I believe respite care is different to a permanent stay in a care home. If I place OH in respite for a week, it costs £123.75 in my borough, but it's his money to pay not mine. I thought that was a good price but £60 a week is phenomenally good in my opinion.

The local authority usually contribute a certain weekly amount to a care home stay. They should try to find him the care he needs within that frame. If this is not possible or you want a different care home, there might be top up fees to pay. But I am really not an expert on this, however, I am sure my esteemed colleagues will be along shortly with their expertise.

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
Is that £123.75 your top up fee, if so then i'd agree that our £60 is good value. I just hope that out social worker has got that right. I'm thinking of making an extra visit to see my mum tomorrow night just to check this out. Thanks for the info.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Respite fees aren't strictly speaking a top-up, they are usually a flat fee and vary from borough to borough. According to our council website, they seem to have something to do with the statutory rate of pension credit? I can't post the link as I am not sure I am allowed to reveal my borough. Another borough I looked up does a complicated calculation of standard minimum guarantee pension minus personal expenses allowance divided by 7 which gets them to £17.70 per night which seems to get them to more or less the same amount as I posted earlier.

Permanent nursing care is different and the cost also depends on your mother's needs as she might qualify for funding.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
On your mother's discharge she should have been entitled to up to six weeks reablement which can be care at home or residential.

This is not means tested and has to be provided free, it is usually provided by the LA although in some cases the NHS is involved.

The LA have a duty to find a suitable placement and should only ask for a top-up if you refuse their choice and insist on a different and more expensive placement.