• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Care Home Abuse... second time in second home


Registered User
Jun 14, 2014
A few months ago I posted a thread in this forum explaining how my dad was abused in a care home. To cut a long story short I managed to get evidence of his abuse and the two people were removed from the care system and placed on a register (they will not be able to work with vulnerable adults again). This led to an enquiry led by my local authority, a complete waste of time but my dad was moved into a better care home.

We had more suspicions that all was not right in this new care home and consequently I have found evidence of abuse to my dad. I have video recordings showing two care workers talking about my dad's genitals in front of him, they talk about sexual things as well as some general mockery. The two individuals have been suspended pending further enquiries (on full pay). We accidentally caught two more evening care workers manhandling my dad. This one is a bit more of a grey area as they change his pad without talking to him and move him quite roughly whilst he is in his bed. Either way it's the sort of treatment that can really make dementia patients anxious.

I think we have been incredibly unlucky. We have found six people who shouldn't be working in this area, four which have now been removed. The effects that this has had on my mum have been both psychological and physical. Where do we go from here?

My heart says, tell your story to the press. Without getting some business managers, care home managers and social workers removed from post we stand no chance of making any progress. I feel we have a bigger responsibility to all of the other residents who do not have proactive families, it sounds like I am getting on a high horse, I'm merely trying to rationalise what has happened.

Unbelievably the care quality commission representative would not even watch the recordings as they don't investigate individual cases; when does an individual case represent an institutional problem? The local authority are toothless, we are surrounded by incompetence.

Is there anywhere else to go or should we just accept what has happened? I am very aware of the energy that it takes dealing with these sort of things and we might just be better off 'biting the bullet'.


Registered User
Sep 17, 2010
Unbelievably the care quality commission representative would not even watch the recordings as they don't investigate individual cases; when does an individual case represent an institutional problem?
You've asked a reasonable question ... I'd suggest you put exactly that issue to a manager at CQC and say you want them to look at the evidence you've got in that light. You might get a more positive response from someone higher up the CQC management ladder than from the representative.

Commiserations on the awful "care" experiences your family has suffered.


Registered User
Jul 8, 2014
It sounds as if you've been through some really difficult times with your father. The least you can expect is that he is treated with decency and compassion and it seems that that has been lacking. To have one case is bad enough but to see it happen again is horrendous.

Do you think this is something you can raise with your MP if you can't get anywhere with Care Quality Commission?


Registered User
Aug 5, 2014
Kendal Cumbria
You can contact CQC with a detailed letter ---I did and I included a "diary" of events and examples, you have video evidence to include along with your own written observations or worries.
Although they may not investigate a single example it might initiate an inspection....
My letter stated...
"By law all trusts/organisations/homes must have a complaints procedure and they must make it available to people who use the service and their representatives. At this stage the trust/organisation/home should try to resolve the matter themselves and put things right.

If you are not happy with their response or with the outcome of your complaint or how it was dealt with, you can ask the Health Service Ombudsman to investigate it. The Health Service Ombudsman is a free, independent complaints service. If they decide that the company/NHS has got things wrong, they can make recommendations to put things right. You can contact the Health Service Ombudsman in the following ways:

• By phoning 0345 015 4033 (textphone 0300 061 4298 for people who are deaf or have problems using a standard phone);
• By sending an email to: phso.enquiries@ombudsman.org.uk;
• By texting ‘call back’, with your name and mobile number, to 07624 813 005. Someone will then call you;
• By writing to: Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP;
• You can also visit their website at www.ombudsman.org.uk.

I trust this identifies the processes available to you, to further your complaint.

Nonetheless, CQC will be undertaking a follow-up inspection in the very near future and the information you have provided, along with the concerns you have raised, will be used to focus our inspection and help us determine if the trust/organisation/home is meeting important standards of quality and safety. I appreciate the effort you have made detailing your concerns. Providing such a comprehensive breakdown of events has been most helpful and will be beneficial during inspection."

So it is worth contacting them
But I also think contacting your local MP is also a good idea and going to see the manager and going through their complaints and investigation procedure, dropping in at unannounced times, getting others to also drop by and always make notes and ask questions, let them know you want to be informed how the matter is being felt with and that you intend to take the matter further if you are not satisfied with their care and safety of elders.


Registered User
Nov 24, 2013
I agree with you Kassy, my experience (and my mum's) of one care home was not good. I also think the system stinks and although it is now too late for my mum I don't think the CQC is tough enough on taking action with regard to poor care .
Last edited by a moderator:


Registered User
Sep 20, 2011
Such treatment Red Squirrel is totally unacceptable and should never have happened; it most certainly shouldn't be allowed to continue.

My approach would be to put a formal complaint in writing to the manager, and copy in the area manager as well as the named person responsible, as shown on the CQC registration.

My late husband was in a care home, and I visited most days. I kept a very close eye on the way all residents were handled, talked to etc. If I had any concerns for any of them, I raised it with management. They did take notice and I saw many changes in practice.

I felt it best to start talking to the people who can make the changes without bringing in the outside agencies, although they also knew I wouldn't hesitate to do that!