Care for the Carer !

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
Hi Denny D,

You may have helped answer a question for me, I am in process of adopting 2 rescue cats, one has just had his eye removed. I am only thinking am I mad? coping with 2 cats and my husband with Lewy Body Dementia, who is deteriorating, but this is what I am hoping they may bring joy into my life, as feels so empty, and help my husband. Can you advise if they really do help you? Thank you
Carole
Go for it Carole. Ours are an absolute delight - didn't know what to expect as we previously always had cats from kittens. Have to say that these two came together from someone who had to be taken into care, but were split when at the shelter. The fact their previous 'owner' went into care did influence our decision to adopt them. We've been lucky with them, settled in well and we became a new little family quickly. They have filled the empty space I felt daily for sure. I do spend a lot of time with them, and involve my husband - so it's also something that we can still have in common, unlike other things, like the photography. He's completely lost the ability to use his camera which is so sad. So the cats give us a renewed focus.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Am late to the party but joining in! I love genealogy, has anyone been on Scotland’s people website? It’s great. My wee dog and I are getting plump, as OH doesn’t walk to far, so am considering taking up shuffle running. Am aware that autumn is coming!, but it would get us out of the house for half an hour of peace.
Hi Thethirdmrsc.
Yes I used Scotland's People for my research as my father was Scottish. Quite expensive if you are not a resident of Scotland but the certificates are so full of detail. I guess you are in Scotland as you have a wee dog. I am glad I did most of my research a few years ago because I would not be able to concentrate now. My trees are on line with Ancestry so I do get occasional contacts from people around the world.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
How delighted I am to come to this thread. I don't post very often but love the idea of "chatting" on all sorts of topics and hope that I can take part. I have been thinking of beginning family research. None of my relatives have been much interested but I would love to know more about past generations.

I'm just going to read all the posts now - so I'll be back later.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
How delighted I am to come to this thread. I don't post very often but love the idea of "chatting" on all sorts of topics and hope that I can take part. I have been thinking of beginning family research. None of my relatives have been much interested but I would love to know more about past generations.

I'm just going to read all the posts now - so I'll be back later.

Look forward to hearing from you m'dear - chat about anything, but I started this thread, and I am also thinking about starting a similar facebook page.......

Hopeful123

Oct 24, 2015
West yorks
Look forward to hearing from you m'dear - chat about anything, but I started this thread, and I am also thinking about starting a similar facebook page.......
Hi Everybody, just caught up on this thread and read every posting(?) hope that’s the right word. I can’t really think of anything to say that may interest you all, at the moment, but hope to do so in the future. Lovely to hear all the news from you all, thank you for starting it Maryjoan, hopeful 123

PetschekNYC

Apr 2, 2018
I have completely revisited my love of 60s music and Motown in particular. It is amazing what memories music can invoke of headier times with so much less responsibility and stress!

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Hi Everybody, just caught up on this thread and read every posting(?) hope that’s the right word. I can’t really think of anything to say that may interest you all, at the moment, but hope to do so in the future. Lovely to hear all the news from you all, thank you for starting it Maryjoan, hopeful 123
But it doesn’t have to be interesting! Don’t hesitate to post, I love the small stuff!

Right now I am lying in bed having a cup of tea and wishing my virus would go away. I’ve cancelled almost everything but still feel tired.

My son and his partner arrive tomorrow! All my plans for Thai takeaway have gone out the window! I can’t give them bread and cheese because my OH will wolf down the cheese and make his constipation worse!

Plus last night I paid a big electricity bill into the wrong account number by phone. So someone else got a large bonus and I’ll have to spend today clawing it back, if I can.

The above issues are an example of trivia. I thought I’d set the bar low on being interesting, in order to encourage you. Please post again soonest!

Great thread by the way, @maryjoan!

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Another brightish day - lovely in September.

My daughter works for the University on their clerical bank, and this week is between posts - excellent for me in a way. My OH and I no longer have a car - long story......

She is coming over with my really cute 2 year old grandson today and we are going to visit a nearby farm shop that makes lovely homity pies, and buy some for the freezer - my OH devours them.

Then, I thought we could stop off at the airfield so that said grandson can watch the planes and we could have a coffee.

Yesterday, I was delighted by the sound of a plane, and when I looked up I saw a bi plane, doing loop de loops in the skies above us. In the evening we had the whump whump of the rotors as military helicopters did low level flying over the valley - they from a different airfield.

Interesting what appears in the skies - even the odd hot air balloon......

AliceA

May 27, 2016

My daughter works for the University on their clerical bank, and this week is between posts - excellent for me in a way. My OH and I no longer have a car - long story......

She is coming over with my really cute 2 year old grandson today and we are going to visit a nearby farm shop that makes lovely homity pies, and buy some for the freezer - my OH devours them.

Then, I thought we could stop off at the airfield so that said grandson can watch the planes and we could have a coffee.

Yesterday, I was delighted by the sound of a plane, and when I looked up I saw a bi plane, doing loop de loops in the skies above us. In the evening we had the whump whump of the rotors as military helicopters did low level flying over the valley - they from a different airfield.

We once lived for work reasons in a country house, very 1920s/30s. It was built on old abbey grounds with a walled garden, grape vine and mulberry tree, nearby was Shuttleworth. Some balmy afternoons sitting in the grounds with vintage planes overhead, the house in the background, flew us back in time.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
The oak tree has a story.

Twenty three years ago this week we lost our son,James, who was aged 13. A couple of days after his death I was walking the dog and saw this acorn on the road. It was trying to sprout a leaf or two. I felt sorry for it, because I thought a car would run over it and squash it, so I put it in my pocket and took it home.

I put it in a plant pot and for several years it was a twig with a few leaves on.

Now it is over 20 foot tall, still only a sapling in the oak tree world, but it will grow into a brilliant tree one day. We call it 'James' Tree'.
Moved me to tears and smiles, beautiful and so personal memorial x

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018

Oh please please what is a homity pie?

Cagsey

Feb 19, 2015
Devizes, Wiltshire
Go for it Carole. Ours are an absolute delight - didn't know what to expect as we previously always had cats from kittens. Have to say that these two came together from someone who had to be taken into care, but were split when at the shelter. The fact their previous 'owner' went into care did influence our decision to adopt them. We've been lucky with them, settled in well and we became a new little family quickly. They have filled the empty space I felt daily for sure. I do spend a lot of time with them, and involve my husband - so it's also something that we can still have in common, unlike other things, like the photography. He's completely lost the ability to use his camera which is so sad. So the cats give us a renewed focus.

Thank you Denny, that has helped me. My husband is having bad nights now, so I think I may only adopt the one cat who has lost the eye, as he is adorable and needs support, and will think about another later, as feel my husband maybe going into care in the future.

pixie2

Jul 21, 2018
Hi @pixie2 yes I for one worry about both these issues and this last year or so, since my husband’s diagnosis, I have succumbed frequently to both dysfunctional methods of compensation. I can’t go away alone as I used to do and I overspend on internet clothes as well as wildly overeating my favourite chocolate that I’ve also ordered online. None of this helps me. The guilt is awful of course, the wardrobe gets too crowded, and the chocolate helps only momentarily with mood. Overall these methods of pseudo self help are disastrous! Don’t be tempted!
Thanks. Glad its not just me, I will tryx

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Oh please please what is a homity pie?

There are several places you can buy them but we get them from this particular farm shop and they are made on the premises and are delicious. The ones I bought today contain potato, onion, garlic, leek, spinach and cheese in a pastry case and are so yummy.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-6_14-57-41.png
    upload_2018-9-6_14-57-41.png
    653.6 KB · Views: 442

Hopeful123

Oct 24, 2015
West yorks
There are several places you can buy them but we get them from this particular farm shop and they are made on the premises and are delicious. The ones I bought today contain potato, onion, garlic, leek, spinach and cheese in a pastry case and are so yummy.
That homily pie looks delicious Maryjoan. Just googled it, another name for it is devon pie, sure you know that. That’s probably why I’ve never seen it up here, wish it was available to order via internet. Looks similar to a quiche but I’m sure it’s more tasty

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
That homily pie looks delicious Maryjoan. Just googled it, another name for it is devon pie, sure you know that. That’s probably why I’ve never seen it up here, wish it was available to order via internet. Looks similar to a quiche but I’m sure it’s more tasty
Much more tasty - I am no cook, but maybe you are?? and could make one?? I can find a recipe if you like........

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Right Maryjoan, that’s a challenge for me. I did see recipes on line when I googled it. Will let you know how it turns out hopeful 123

Look forward to reading about it !! and maybe a picture - our village are putting together a cook book - think it's the WI, but needless to say, I will not be contributing, but I will buy one for my sister 'up north' !

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
I had never heard of homity pie but must say it looks delicious - I expect the WI recipe will be someone's well tried and very tasty one. Here (north Scotland) I cannot think of an equivalent.

Weather here is already very cold mornings and evening so heating definitely needed - very early dark too!

We are near Aberdeen so we often hear and see the helicopters travelling to and from the oil rigs in the North Sea. I always spare a thought for those who travel to work this way - travel safely!