Care for challenging behaviour?

Pamqwerty

Mar 29, 2019
I'm looking for a care home in South Birmingham suitable for a 66 year old physically very fit gent with severe Alzheimer's who is now displaying very challenging behaviour. He has had a failed placement in a good nursing home already due to safeguarding issues including 2x absconding attempts.
Have tried to get info from Social services, Alzheimers society & CQC, but no list of homes with staff trained in restraint etc is available.
Any help gratefully received.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forums @Pamqwerty. Sorry to read of your troubles. Is it a family member whose Altzheimers is causing you both some stress? Recommendations are not actually allowed directly on the forum, but hopefully someone in the Birmingham area will be around to give some ideas where you can get help Have you tried the carers support centre? Their carers groups are good places to find local information. Type your postcode into http://carers.org and you should find a local centre.
Best of luck.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If the Local Authority assess him as being in need of residential care they have a legal duty to find a suitable placement regardless of whether he is self funding or LA assisted.
This placement may not meet the requirements of his carer(s) and may even be in a different LA.
You could start by insisting that the LA find a placement.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
BTW, very few places use restraints now, preferring to use environment modifications, techniques in persuasion and medications, so if you are specifically asking about whether they use/are trained in restraint, then the answer will probably be no - even if the home would be suitable.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Pamqwerty, and welcome to the forum from me too.

There is a site that gives reviews of Care Homes across the UK and it can be searched using postcodes. I can't vouch for the reviews but can say that in relation to the one CH with which I'm familiar they seem accurate.

If you feel this may be of use, just click the following link
https://www.carehome.co.uk/

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I am with Nitram on this one, since the need is specific, social services should advise, even if they aren't paying for it. Sadly, you may have a battle on your hands.
As others have said, I wouldn't mention restraint but be clear what the issues were previously that led to the placement being unsuitable. Sadly some care homes don't try very hard.

Pamqwerty

Mar 29, 2019
Thanks for replies and support. Its my husband who has been in a nursing home since early Feb. His deteriation is so rapid. I have been on to the LA again today who may now help by allocating a social worker early next week. The consultant has been out and changed meds so feel slightly more supported tonight. We had a CHC assessment yesterday no definate outcome yet but not confident. Appreciate all the support

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I have been on to the LA again today who may now help by allocating a social worker early next week

Work on the assumption that the SW is going to do/arrange a care needs assessment for your husband, if necessary quiz them about it.
From what you have said the assessment will most likely be a need for residential care, this would put the duty to find a placement on the LA.
Also take the opportunity to ask for a carer's assessment for yourself.

Do not enter into any financial discussion, needs should be decided before finance is considered.