Care Costs

Red kite

Jun 10, 2020
Does anyway pay for 24 hour home care in the central London area, I would like to get an idea of monthly costs ?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @Red kite Live in care costs will be dependant on variables such as the level of care required, will 2 staff be required, location etc. I can't help you with a specific figure but average prices for 24hr live-in care in the UK are within a ballpark figure of £800 to £1,800 per week, and in central London you will be paying 'top end'. If you can provide a bit more detail about the level of care needed someone here may be able to provide a better estimate for you eg is it needed for things like washing,dressing,feeding or for more complex behaviour/medical needs? Are you intending to get help via an agency? If so, costs can vary quite widely from agency to agency so it might be worth you ringing round a few local ones to find out what they would charge.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My mother in law was living in south London in 2018 and was quoted £1300 a week for live in care via an agency. She had already been receiving carer visits 3 times a day from the same care agency but she was no longer safe in her home due to various factors including a high falls risk. She needed personal care and meal preparation but in the end it was simply not economically viable to have live in care. She didn't have the income to support it on a long term basis. Eventually she went into residential care at £1350 and her property was sold. There are forum members who've been down the live in care route and will be along soon with their experiences.

Red kite

Jun 10, 2020
My mother in law was living in south London in 2018 and was quoted £1300 a week for live in care via an agency. She had already been receiving carer visits 3 times a day from the same care agency but she was no longer safe in her home due to various factors including a high falls risk. She needed personal care and meal preparation but in the end it was simply not economically viable to have live in care. She didn't have the income to support it on a long term basis. Eventually she went into residential care at £1350 and her property was sold. There are forum members who've been down the live in care route and will be along soon with their experiences.
Thank you very much for the reply. I have an aunt who has care at home and the costs are getting very high. I am trying to find out if they are this high as a norm. I am worried about care homes at the moment but funds are getting low. My options seem very limited and I just want to work out all the options so I can make the best decisions for her

Red kite

Jun 10, 2020
Welcome to the forum @Red kite Live in care costs will be dependant on variables such as the level of care required, will 2 staff be required, location etc. I can't help you with a specific figure but average prices for 24hr live-in care in the UK are within a ballpark figure of £800 to £1,800 per week, and in central London you will be paying 'top end'. If you can provide a bit more detail about the level of care needed someone here may be able to provide a better estimate for you eg is it needed for things like washing,dressing,feeding or for more complex behaviour/medical needs? Are you intending to get help via an agency? If so, costs can vary quite widely from agency to agency so it might be worth you ringing round a few local ones to find out what they would charge.
So I do have an agency in place, sorry I didnt make that clear, but costs are very high and have increased of late. She is medically fine but needs help with day to day. I am basically just trying to find out if costs are pretty average?

Red kite

Jun 10, 2020
And thank you for the welcome Louise, I feel this site will be of benefit to me going forward. Sorry I have started with a money question but I am also looking forward to learning lots

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
And thank you for the welcome Louise, I feel this site will be of benefit to me going forward. Sorry I have started with a money question but I am also looking forward to learning lots

Don't worry about starting with a money question @Red kite we all have to start somewhere :) Glad you've found us and you'll find loads of advice and support here, and everyone's friendly, so feel free to just ask away.