Care cost calculator

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Does this actually work? I put in the whole truth and the calculation said £150K from the OH with a council contribution of zero. More than the valuation of our house (jointly owned) and with very little pension rights or savings?
K

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Thank you Jennifer - I put the link to the whole page (which includes the calculator) as I felt it had some relevant / interesting information to accompany the actual practical calculator.

I totally agree. But I wanted to put the link in in case anyone was looking for that specifically. :)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Does this actually work? I put in the whole truth and the calculation said £150K from the OH with a council contribution of zero. More than the valuation of our house (jointly owned) and with very little pension rights or savings?
K

I think it does. I ran it using figures that I had from my mother, once with her as a single person and once with her being married and it cut the care costs in half basically.

It was about £160K as single but £78K if she was married.

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
Well how confusing, I am non the wiser tbh.

The 3 year figure came out at £108,500 :confused:

I put Dads figures in for the house he owns now and the house he used to own at current market values and got the same figure which I also got putting in my own personal finances.

I must be doing something wrong !

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Be interesting to see what others find. One assumes they have tested it before making it available as it is part of a package of things.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Not sure but are the figures you are getting higher than the £72,000 cap because the cap does not include the £230/week living costs?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Not sure but are the figures you are getting higher than the £72,000 cap because the cap does not include the £230/week living costs?"

The cap is on the LA assessed care fee and not the fee charged by the care home, that's why your post code is requested. The LA assessment used is a flat rate for the area but the LA can decide fees for individual homes based on a calculation of what the home offers and local conditions plus a fair profit margin. This fee does not include the hotel element which is calculated separately.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...-care-cap-cost&p=923237&viewfull=1#post923237

EDIT
For a purely residential placement the care element will be small and very little of the total fee will be classed as care costs.

Last edited:

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
"Not sure but are the figures you are getting higher than the £72,000 cap because the cap does not include the £230/week living costs?"

The cap is on the LA assessed care fee and not the fee charged by the care home, that's why your post code is requested. The LA assessment used is a flat rate for the area but the LA can decide fees for individual homes based on a calculation of what the home offers and local conditions plus a fair profit margin. This fee does not include the hotel element which is calculated separately.
Yeah I got that thanks nitram and was just trying to help those that had got a high amount from the BBC calculator.