Care concerns

rosemary237

Apr 10, 2018
Harrow
Wonder if anybody has had the same problem as myself , my mum has vascular dementia and has just moved into a nursing home as her care home were unable to take her back after a stay in hospital due to some deterioration . She has been in the nursing home for 3 weeks where we are paying £1500 a week for her care , but they are putting nappy pads on her instead of tolieting her regularly . I know she is not mobile but she can take weight on her feet to transfer from wheelchair to toliet but all they want to do is hoist her and by the time they do this she is soiled and upset . They do not spend a lot of time with the residents which i find unacceptable , any advice about how to find good nursing homes.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi @rosemary237 - I am sorry to hear that you are facing such worry over your mum's care. It sounds very distressing for you both.

When I had to start researching nursing home facilities in my area I found the Alzheimer's Society 's search tool at https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you was a good starting point.

Just put your area or post code in the search box, choose the category of 'care homes' and it will bring up a list of facilities (including nursing homes) near you. You can then use the links to find out more about each one, including their latest CQC report, which will help you identify the best ones for your mum's needs.

I didn't have to go down that road in the end but I am sure others will be along to let you know what they found helpful in their own search for a good nursing home, or what steps they took in tackling the kind of care worries you are facing at the moment.

Good luck and keep posting with any other worries or concerns that crop up.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I found my mother's dementia care home (non-nursing) via the site Pete has linked to. You do have to read the reviews with a critical eye, but I can say that the glowing reviews for my mother's own care home are genuine - I've written one myself! There are other homes where they seem to have garnered reviews from any random friend who visits and raves about the cafe, but it's easy to check who the review is from and whether they are commenting on issues which are important to you.

rosemary237

Apr 10, 2018
Harrow
I found my mother's dementia care home (non-nursing) via the site Pete has linked to. You do have to read the reviews with a critical eye, but I can say that the glowing reviews for my mother's own care home are genuine - I've written one myself! There are other homes where they seem to have garnered reviews from any random friend who visits and raves about the cafe, but it's easy to check who the review is from and whether they are commenting on issues which are important to you.
thank you i will try that out

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
Wonder if anybody has had the same problem as myself , my mum has vascular dementia and has just moved into a nursing home as her care home were unable to take her back after a stay in hospital due to some deterioration . She has been in the nursing home for 3 weeks where we are paying £1500 a week for her care , but they are putting nappy pads on her instead of tolieting her regularly . I know she is not mobile but she can take weight on her feet to transfer from wheelchair to toliet but all they want to do is hoist her and by the time they do this she is soiled and upset . They do not spend a lot of time with the residents which i find unacceptable , any advice about how to find good nursing homes.
I have found this at my dad's nursing home where he moved just before Christmas. Dad was being taken to the toilet at his last Home but now wears pads all the time and I don't think the staff at his new Home bother with the toilet. It's so hard to know what to do. Do we really have to police everything Homes do and offer our loved ones? I am so fed up after all the problems at dad's last Home and, even then, it wasn't enough and there were more problems of which I wasn't aware. I just want to be able to trust Home staff that dad is being looked after and yet, now, I don't. I can't move dad again.
Karen

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
My husband was in a brilliant home but he was moved against my wishes (the invisibles) and was using the toilet with no problems, where he is now absolutely disgusts me, I went in the other day and a member of staff said to me yourhusband might be dirty because he’s just used the bin and we’ve not had a chance to clean him, I’ve got a review meeting on Tuesday with the SW and the manager and will be bringing this up, how could they be so uncaring, unfortunately I can’t move him because it’s a court order that he lives there. It breaks my heart to see him treated like this.