Care company struggling!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I had a phone call from the on call today. Apparently the carers are struggling with dad.He was leaning to the left this morning whilst sat on the side of the bed. He is very weak. He cannot grab the Sara Stedy very well to pull himself up.
He cannot hold a cup very well now and I have had to increase his lunch call to 45 mins as it is taking him so long to eat.
His teeth no longer fit and they have asked what can be done. I have said to leave them out as it’s a choking hazard.
Dad wants them in even with 4 lots of polygrip on them. She doesn’t think he has capacity as he is not understanding why they are not staying. Really? What a surprise!
It took4 of them to get him off the floor the other day when he slid off his recliner.
They have taken off the long repose that goes over the recliner and put repose cushion under him. I wonder how long that will last.
I asked when was the last time he went to the toilet.. 9 days ago apparently..
She is going to get the stand aid organised and get the bed moved. We shall see! It hasn’t been long since I gave it up. Seems to be hitting the fan regularly. I wonder how long it will take before they give up with dad.

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
You are doing the right thing by stepping back as you have, I'm wishing you strength to continue until the powers that be are forced to recognise the true situation here and your dad finally gets the 24/7 care he needs. It is truly awful that the system forces people into this position. Stay strong and look after yourself.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
has he got the strength to grip a stand aid especially if he leaning to the left he could over balance. if he hasnt been to the toilet for 9 days, what have they done about it. its their place to call the doctor and report things like that to them. keep stepping away and hopefully they will get it that he needs 24/7 care. how you have manage all the years goodness knows.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Like you say it hasn't taken long to deteriorate. I assume it was the on call social worker that rang you? What do you want to happen now? I think this is the best opportunity you have to get him into carehome or nursing home with their concurrence of his loss of capacity. Even so the carers must be close to saying it's too much of a struggle & risk for your dad. Did SS visit & reassess the situation?It's time now they made that decision (with a prod from you). What a situation this is?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
He maybe be able to grip the stand aid but he will have a belt that goes around him. I asked her to get the one with the leg flaps so they can attach it to the peg on the machine. She did not know you can get electric ones now. Similar to a hoist.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Like you say it hasn't taken long to deteriorate. I assume it was the on call social worker that rang you? What do you want to happen now? I think this is the best opportunity you have to get him into carehome or nursing home with their concurrence of his loss of capacity. Even so the carers must be close to saying it's too much of a struggle & risk for your dad. Did SS visit & reassess the situation?It's time now they made that decision (with a prod from you). What a situation this is?
No it was on call from the care company. The carers had raised the alarm this morning.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
No it was on call from the care company. The carers had raised the alarm this morning.
As I’m not doing anymore and he is getting weak I think he should go in a home. I told the on call that he should be in a home now.
No nobody noticed he hadn’t been for 9 days . You think it would flag up! Something will happen one way or another. SS coming this week.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I wonder what would be happening if you were not answering calls from the care company - not that I am suggesting you do that. But if you were not involved then I assume the care company would report concerns to SS which might then get their support for a move to a care home.

A question you might ask to the SS.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
As I’m not doing anymore and he is getting weak I think he should go in a home. I told the on call that he should be in a home now.
No nobody noticed he hadn’t been for 9 days . You think it would flag up! Something will happen one way or another. SS coming this week.
are they documenting after each visit because if they are, then it should have been picked up if they each read the notes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Fargher