1. Q&A: Medication - Thurs 22nd November, 3-4pm

Do you have questions about medication and drug treatments for dementia? There's no drug to cure dementia yet, but it's often possible to relieve some symptoms.

Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Simon from our Knowledge Services team. He will be answering your questions on Thursday 22nd November from 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Care company asking for a supply of cash

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Rambling Sid, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Rambling Sid

Rambling Sid Registered User

Mar 7, 2018
    My mother lives alone in the mid-stages of dementia. She has carers coming in four times a day. I do all her domestic shopping needs online; her food shopping is done once a week by AgeUK. I live at the other end of the country to my mum, and am having health issues of my own to struggle with.

The problem I have is that my mother will only eat toast and marmalade, or beans on toast, or ham sandwiches (so the carers tell me). All her meals are based around bread, but a weekly shop for bread means that it has gone stale after 5-6 days, so she has no bread on at least one day a week. I asked the care manager to give her soup, or an omelette, or a fried egg in that case; they said they couldn't do that as the client is asked what they want to eat, and in this case the client (my poor demented Mum) asks for toast and marmalade all the time.

The care company rang this morning and asked me to leave £20 at her home, for a kitty, to get round the bread shortage. I explained that I am physically not near enough to so this, plus there is nowhere safe to leave the cash. I am also reluctant to leave money as when my mum was first diagnosed, I did leave cash available, but the receipts showed sweets and cigarettes purchased.

Has anyone else come across a similar problem, and how did they get over it? What she needs is a mini top-up shop, but the charge is £10 so it is not economic just for a loaf and a pint of milk.

2. Rosettastone57

Rosettastone57 Registered User

Oct 27, 2016
    Just a thought...If you are ordering bread for her as an online order ...order more and put in freezer? My MIL had a milk delivery 3 days a week and the company also delivered bread and other essentials overnight for 7am.

3. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    I do an online shop for my family, with a couple of hungry teenagers, and don't have a problem with bread going stale. In fact as their food choices vary, we are sometimes eating bread nearly 2 weeks after it has been delivered, and I don't notice that it is stale. I do keep all bar the current load in a fairly cool cupboard, but modern pre sliced supermarket/branded bread (I buy wholemeal for 55p a loaf) has a reasonable dose of preservatives and is designed to keep a while.

For my mum, I do her shop fortnightly and put a loaf in the freezer which the carers move into the fridge when needed. I don't see the need to keep in the fridge but I'm not about to rock the boat with the carers.

I think letting your mum eat what she chooses is better than the carers trying to et her to eat something she doesn't fancy and leave her hungry. My mum goes through phases of eating sweet food, and there is little point worrying about it, although it might not be what I want her to eat.

4. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    As has been said, bread kept airtight and cool has a long shelf life, it can also be frozen.

Their are many top up cards available, you can usually view balance and top up on line,
    If you go this route you have to carefully read all the terms and conditions.
    This is one comparison site
    https://www.money.co.uk/prepaid-car...MIjaHy6Yes3gIVxrTtCh3FUQAcEAAYASAAEgL23_D_BwE
    there are others.
    Some send a text message when any transaction takes place, you can then view the balance.

5. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    As @Rosettastone57 mentioned, would it be possible to order more bread and freeze it? If all you mother wants is toast and something, I don't think the staleness of the bread would matter.

6. SKD

SKD Registered User

I had a similar issue when my Mum was at home - I ended up getting a cheap safe and leaving the carers with a float of cash. They left the receipts for any spending and the safe was also useful for storing medication, spare keys and my Mums's Freedom Pass. Buying and freezing some bread might also be a solution.

7. Katrine

Katrine Registered User

Jan 20, 2011
    England
    Toast can be made from frozen sliced bread without it having to be defrosted first.

8. Sirena

Sirena Registered User

Feb 27, 2018
    Female
    I agree that getting the carers to freeze a few slices of bread each week would be the best answer. They can use it from frozen in the toaster, or they can defrost it the previous day.

I don't understand why a kitty would be necessary in any case. If my mother had additional expenses the care company would inform me but pay it themselves and then add it to the monthly invoice.