• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Care at home

Sharin

Aug 30, 2019
Hi,
I am here as my mother 89 was diagnosed with vascular dementia last May - she did not have a brain scan but consultant psychiatrist diagnosed her.
I'm trying to look after my mother at home. We have a care package in place & we employ private carers too.
It costs £4,000 per month.
I'm waiting for a review with my mothers social worker as the care package we have in place is no longer suiting my mothers needs.
The carers say my mothers mobility is deteriorating & they are unable to help her to get out of bed. They say she needs to get herself out of bed which I think is ridiculous.
My mother has beed refusing to get up from bed, I think this is due to the struggle she's having & the carers not helping her.
I'm so fed up with the situation & I'm hoping SW can suggest more suitable care agency or personal assistant.
This is such a hard thing to deal with.
My very best wishes to you all.
Sharin

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Sharin and welcome to DTP
I would have thought that you need a needs assessment from SS and also a OT (occupational therapist) assessment to enable the best possible care plan to be put in place...

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im afraid that the carers are right - they are not allowed to lift people out of bed. This is a safety matter as they may end up injuring either themselves or your your mum. What is needed is a hoist or a standing aid. An Occupational Therapist can assess what is needed and can lend you the equipment. Do be aware thought that it usually takes 2 people to work a hoist.

Sharin

Aug 30, 2019
Thanks for replying.
Of course I don't expect the carers to lift my mother but they say they can't even offer a steadying hand. There are manual handling techniques which the carers could be using ie rocking to help her stand from sitting on the edge of her bed if needed. I am doubting the level of manual handling training the carers have been given as it's very subjective & depends on which carer attends.
OT has said my mother does not need hoisting or a stand aid. She is slowing down but still able to sit up & stand from the bed with minimal help.
I wish I could tell them all to leave as they are causing me a lot of worry & stress. I would not cope looking after my mother without any help.
I fear for the future & what lies ahead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craftedgifts