Care at home and face masks

willow73

Apr 27, 2020
Hi folks,I'm interested to hear if anyone that has care visits at home or for a relative,have the carers started to wear masks yet.My mothers carers do,but one of them didn't wear one last night or her apron,I didn't say anything last night,but they have been instructed to wear them by the care company.
I'm quite surprised that they haven't been made mandatory by the government yet,do they have to wear them in care homes?

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH carers all wear gloves and aprons as standard and for the last 4-6 weeks proper face masks. One carer came wearing a homemade mask so I questioned it with the office. My ultimate concern is protecting my OH. They said they hadn't approved any home made masks, she is issued with the correct PPE and she must wear it and they would have a word, not sure if that's government rules or care company rules. Anyway when she came again a couple of days ago she was wearing the correct PPE.
I saw this morning a report (can't remember where now) some care homes are asking self funders for another £100pw to cover the cost of buying PPE.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The government has provided 'recommendations' with regards care visits at home, not mandatory instructions. If the carer is coming into direct contact with the person then they recommend gloves, apron & mask. If the carer is having no direct contact then they recommend a mask (as a minimum). If your mother's carer is not following the care agency's infection control instructions then it's best to let the agency know. Here is the latest government guidance, which has been updated at various times during lockdown:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...le/888998/Domiciliary_guidance_01_06_2020.pdf

willow73

Apr 27, 2020
My OH carers all wear gloves and aprons as standard and for the last 4-6 weeks proper face masks. One carer came wearing a homemade mask so I questioned it with the office. My ultimate concern is protecting my OH. They said they hadn't approved any home made masks, she is issued with the correct PPE and she must wear it and they would have a word, not sure if that's government rules or care company rules. Anyway when she came again a couple of days ago she was wearing the correct PPE.
I saw this morning a report (can't remember where now) some care homes are asking self funders for another £100pw to cover the cost of buying PPE.
I must admit,I had been wondering if they will ask for more money to pay towards ppe as mum pays for her home care at home

willow73

Apr 27, 2020
The government has provided 'recommendations' with regards care visits at home, not mandatory instructions. If the carer is coming into direct contact with the person then they recommend gloves, apron & mask. If the carer is having no direct contact then they recommend a mask (as a minimum). If your mother's carer is not following the care agency's infection control instructions then it's best to let the agency know. Here is the latest government guidance, which has been updated at various times during lockdown:
Hi the lady inquestion is such a lovely hady,she must be nearly 70 and has even brought in a couple of quick books to read my mum on the bed call,but she seems to also have a stubborn side for instance at first she was the only person not to wear an apron and when I mentioned it a while ago she said it was because they didn't fit her and that the office knew,but the next night she wore one and it fitted fine!.
So when I saw her last night I thought,God not again no apron again and no mask tonight,I let it go last night,but I don't need a maverick that might influence other people not to bother wearing the ppe,if she comes without a mask tonight,I will hand her one of mine.
I have had one carer that I have to remind that the mask should cover her nose too as she somethinmes wears it only over her mouth and I would like them to wear them from before entering the house until after they have left,but a couple of the girls take them off after they have left mums bed area,and then walk around unmasked.
It makes me feel like I'm treating them like lepers,but at the end of the day,I always wear a mask myself at the shops and I can't account for their movements away from the house.

As well as clinical masks the girls have also been given washable masks,so I would hope that they can wear them to avoid the need to pay any costs for ppe

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dont think you are being unreasonable @willow73 . OHs carers wear apron, gloves and a full face shield (as opposed to a mask) every time they come. They put on the apron and face shield outside, come in and the first thing they do is wash their hands and put on gloves. The PPE doesnt come off until they get outside and they have strict instructions on disposal of apron/gloves and cleaning/sterilising of the face shield.

To my mind thats the way it should be.

willow73

Apr 27, 2020
I dont think you are being unreasonable @willow73 . OHs carers wear apron, gloves and a full face shield (as opposed to a mask) every time they come. They put on the apron and face shield outside, come in and the first thing they do is wash their hands and put on gloves. The PPE doesnt come off until they get outside and they have strict instructions on disposal of apron/gloves and cleaning/sterilising of the face shield.

To my mind thats the way it should be.
Hi @canary thanks,you would think they would grasp how serious this is.

willow73

Apr 27, 2020
The lady that wasn't wearing the mask has one on today but is wearing it around her neck not covering her at all,the person that she has arrived with has done the same thing,they arrived in the same car so I believe the lady that didn't wear one last night has mentioned that to the other lady and influenced her behaviour.
I think sometimes that they are thinking they are ok because the clients don't leave the house and that's true,but I'm worried about the carers being the people that may have the virus and be symptom free,so for them to wear a mask is protection for my mum.
The excuse they both gave was that their glasses steam up because of the mask and I know that they are being genuine,but that's something they will just have to cope with,I get on really well with them and I could tell they were a bit annoyed with me,but what else can I do,with a highly contagious disease people can't ignore protocol because their glasses are steaming up

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I wear glasses and also wear a mask when I have to go out. If you wear the mask correctly and position your glasses properly over the mask your glasses dont steam up.

Im sorry, but I would be having a word with the agency.

willow73

Apr 27, 2020
I wear glasses and also wear a mask when I have to go out. If you wear the mask correctly and position your glasses properly over the mask your glasses dont steam up.

Im sorry, but I would be having a word with the agency.
Everything is ok now,it was just a shock that people thought that was ok to do that,I have read today that the BMA want masks to be worn in social care settings on a compulsory basis to match what's going to happen in hospitals,it wouldn't surprise me if that happens within the next month.At that time it wouldn't surprise me if a letter arrives from the care company demanding money to pay for the extra PPE that the carers are having to wear,it would be nice if the LA could fund that or at least source them at a good price.Home care is expensive enough as it is.
The only figure that never seems to inflate is my carers allowance

willow73

Apr 27, 2020
I was speaking to 2 carers this morning about how important I think it is to wear a face mask and one of them exclaimed "we're not going to get it"I think because some people haven't heard about it in the local community that they think it's just hysteria,I said well if you do have it and are symptom free you wont even know will you.