Care Assessment?

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi,
I was hoping someone could help regarding what happens now for my Mum? I have very little experience of how "the system" works.

The thing is ... Mum is declining fast and I don't know what happens next. She is 80 and lives alone, but is now struggling to boil the kettle, put the heating on, cook etc. I do her washing for her, and I took her a pill box for her medication today but I don't think she understood it. Her twin sister helps out but she is very frail and can hardly walk and is finding Mum a strain. Mum is constantly worried and it's very difficult to reassure her. I am only a 15 minute drive away but work full time and Mum will sit and worry rather than think to ask for help.

I was under the impression she should she have had a care assessment - is this right? Should she have a social worker? Dad's social worker (he went into a CH last December) described Mum's cognitive impairment as "significant". Do I have to ask for these things - who do I ask? I think Mum is getting to the stage where someone should be monitoring her.

You all seem so knowledgeable - I would be really grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Carolyn

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
Ps

PS, I forgot to say Mum was diagnosed with AD last December, although and has had one visit from her consultant psychiatrist. She's been taking rimanyl for about a month.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I would phone up the local social services in your area to ask them to come and assess your mum. I would also get in touch with Help the Aged, and, if you have the Admiral Nurse service in your area, get in touch with them.

Other posters will also be able to supply you with some Agencies who could be of help.

Your mum does need help and there is help out there. The hard part is getting in touch with such help. Good luck in your quest.

xxTinaT

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
Hi Carolyn
Another route to get help might be to approach your mum's GP and explain your concerns. A more up to date medical assessment might be helpful and the GP could arrange for another visit from the consultant. Also you could request a referral for a community psychiatric nurse (CPN) to visit. They can be very helpful and can liaise with social services. Is your mum getting Attendance Allowance? Social services would be able to advise on how to apply and on any other benefits your mum might be entitled to. Read all the relevant fact sheets on this site and on Help the Aged website. The more info you can get the better. There is alot of help out there but it can be confusing and time consuming to find out about it. A good CPN and/or social worker can make a huge difference. Good luck with it all.
Blue sea

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Carolyn

Do you have a branch of Alzheimer's Society near you, and/or Princess Royal Trust?

Either of those will come and see your mum, and will contact SS for you. Sometimes you get a quicker response if there is pressure from one of these organisations.

Alternatively, you could see your mum's GP, and ask him to refer her, but to be honest, AS and PRT are much more effective, and will offer you continuing support. Also, it's much easier to get an appointment!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks for all your advice. Think I'll try the GP route first and see where that leads. I'm falling into this trap of "if I do this or that things might get better" but of course they won't. I know it's a case of how best to manage the inevitable.
Carolyn