Care agencies in Derby

Grable

May 19, 2015
I don't know if this question is allowed here - if it isn't, my apologies, but perhaps people would like to respond with a private message:

Does anybody use a care agency that they can recommend in Derby, England? At Mum's assessment we were given a list of people to contact whom we would be able to employ ourselves, but I don't fancy getting involved in payslips, NI contributions and pensions, etc. Besides, of the six people who seemed to suit Mum, only one has got back to me and she has no availability. What's more, given our situation, I don't think an individual carer would be our best bet, as, because of distances, we wouldn't be able to take up the slack in the case of illness or when they took a holiday.

So, an agency it is - but which one? I have e-mailed and called one which seemed logical because it was the closest to Mum's village, but two days later I've still not heard back from them either. I'm wondering if we're on some sort of blacklist somewhere: "Don't touch that family, they're weird!" :D

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
It's more likely they don't have capacity to take on any more.
I'm not in your area but when I looked for an agency to replace the one I was using I was amazed to find none of them could take on my husband. Try several would be best and use the CQC website to check them out first.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
A really good place to get local info is your local carers cafe - not only will they give you support but also all the latest info on what is good and what to avoid. Have a look and see if you can get to one soon x

Karina A

Jan 30, 2016
I live near Derby

Hi
I am not sure how to send a personal message but thought it may be helpful to us both as i live near derby and seem to be in a similar situation.
If you would like to message me i would be happy to exchange notes.

Grable

May 19, 2015
Thanks for the advice, Bemused.
Fizzie, thanks for your advice, too. The problem for me is that I live so far from my mum, so getting to a carers' café in her area - usually held midweek - isn't going to be possible any time soon. I'm already short of holiday from work because I like to add an extra day to the weekend so that I'm not driving 200 miles on one day and the same on the next.
Karina, I've sent you a private message - please look in your inbox.
Nitram, thank you for the link to how to send private messages. Because of you I've been able to send one to Karina.

What stars you all are!:D

Last edited:

Karina A

Jan 30, 2016
Cannot respond

Unfortunately as i am new i cannot do a pm yet. I live just south of Derby. I will respond as soon as the system will let me :confused:as there may be a chance we could help each other.
Hope the weekend goes well, good luck.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Karina is right that new members (i.e. those with less than 10 posts on the forum) can't send PM's except to administrators and moderators.

Whilst the vast majority of our members are genuine, we have had one or two instances of less genuine people joining the forum solely with the purpose of sending unsolicited PM's to members. The 10 posts rule gives us a chance to ensure that a new member is genuine before they can send PM's or posts links. The reason for the rule is to help protect the forum and its members.

I hope this is clear. :)