Cardiff Marathon and Hello

Quinny

Sep 13, 2004
Germany
Hi fellow Stampeders, I'm a new member and wanted to say hello and let you know how things are going. As you may have seen I now live in Germany but my family and 'home' remains in the UK. The reason I started running and have joined the clan is that approximately 2 years ago my mum was diagnosed as having Alzheimer's at the tender age of 62 years young. It proved a great shock to the family at first and we can honestly say the support from the Alzheimer's Society has been one of the key factors that has helped us all understand the condition and pull through the difficult times. My mum has sadly struggled over the months but puts on an amazingly brave front and has not let it get her down. In return I decided to do something that may help and as such decided to join the Stampeders and enter the Cardiff Marathon. This has resulted in a great change in lifestyle as before that my trainers had seen more time pushing the lawnmower than actually running. The running started on a cold January evening but I have now managed two half marathons including a run around the famous Nurburgring which is the old but very hilly German Formula 1 track. I've battled through the hot days, cold days, early morning runs and even had joggers nipple but in my heart I know it will all be worthwhile. The money is now slowly coming in which also helps spur me on some more and I can only say, once again a thank you to the Society and their help in getting me going along the collection path. They truly have helped a Brit abroad, now I hope to give something back. Will anyone else be at Cardiff ? Until next time, Quinny.
www.justgiving.com/sqalzheimers

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Quinny,

Well done! It's wonderful to see everyone out there raising money for the AS. I'm definitely not a runner, more of a plodder really, but am aiming for the Inca Trail next May, which will be 40 kilometres at high altitude and very slowly, I hope....

Very best of luck for your marathon effort.

Best wishes,

Jude

Quinny

Sep 13, 2004
Germany
Running tips

Hi Jude and thanks for the message and good luck yourself.

To all out there - On reading some of the other messages on the board it seems some people are after the 'experience' from others. I am clearly no expert on running but I have read a lot, tried a lot and some things I clearly have my opinion on. Here goes and let me know if you have another view or can suggest something else -
Food just before the run - at least two hours before and the best I have found is toast with honey and banana. It gives a carbohydrate loading which is like giving your muscles new batteries.
Music - don't unless you want a real workout. It does help take your mind off it but you will also find yourself running faster than normal. Good in training but not in an event as you simply burn out.
Shoes - definitely get some advice from a proper running shop and one where you can try them first. The big retailers don't know too much as I found to my peril and it caused pain in both the ankles and wallet. Also explain what you want to do, an ideal marathon shoe can be different from when you run a few miles each week.
Clothes - don't try anything new on the big run. You will sometimes find things rub where you don't want them too.
Chest - apply plasters - I didn't and finished my first half marathon with two blood stains on my shirt. It hurt for days.
Training runs - I have two main routes. The weekend run is about 7 miles but can be easily extended and is away from too much traffic. The mid week run is shorter but with hills. These give a big boost to charging the heart and getting the leg muscles going. You will find smaller slopes are then less of a challenge.
Do some smaller events - In practice for the marathon I have now run two half marathons, one of which was very hilly. Before the first I had not gone longer than 6 miles and suddenly had 13 to do. Finishing it gave me a big confidence boost for all later training and you will be suprised how far you can go when surrounded by a few hundred people cheering you on.
Have a list - the mind is the biggest enemy. You can be fine and as soon as the first negative thought comes to mind it is like being stabbed in the legs. Write a list on your hand of things to think of when you get tired. Think of a silly list e.g. top ten......etc and you will suddenly find that last while went ok.
So far so good for my training lets hope I get to finish on the big day.
Let me know if you are going to Cardiff
Quinny

Quinny

Sep 13, 2004
Germany
Dear Stampeders and readers,

I can now say I made it ! On 3rd Oct I finished the Cardiff Marathon and can honestly say I enjoyed the whole experience from the application, the training, the build up and putting forward our case for support and finally the day itself.
The marathon went well despite the rain in the second half and I was heading for a possible time below 4hrs which I couldn't believe until my right knee suddenly gave up. I felt like I had been shot and instead of left right left right it went more like left *!*? left *!*? if you know what I mean. I finally hobbled to the finish in 4hrs 32mins and I cannot describe the emotions of joy at reaching my goal. At the time, yes, it hurt but now after a couple of weeks from running I'm itching to get going again.
On reflection, maybe if I had trained a little more or started a little more slowly all would have gone even better but despite the problem, the day was great and I think will remain one of my all time highs. To be my first marathon and running for a cause made a real difference to the day. The atmosphere was superb from the supporters and seeing my mum, a sufferer, and my family at the roadside gave a real boost.
I can honestly recommend it to anyone.
It was also great to see other Stampeders making the run. I saw a few shirts doing either the half or full marathon and even though we weren't together it still gave a feeling of team spirit and encouragement. I can only hope through this mail system more can get in touch, it would have been nice to all meet at the start or finish.
Keep running and good luck to any about to take on the challenge.
Quinny.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Quinny,

Many thanks for your inspiring post. You must feel really wonderful. There's no way in the world that I couldhave run a marathon any time of my life, so I am extremely impressed.

Very best wishes,

Jude

C

Chesca

Dear Valiants

Very sheepishly, I would like to extend my congratulations and admiration to everybody who takes part (or even thinks of taking part) in such arduous feats, helping to raise awareness of AS on our behalf.

I feel very humble because the extent of my exercise is a little tile breaking flamenco and belly dancing - exercise for which is undertaken sitting down eating pancakes. Many moons ago I undertook a 16 mile charity walk, and only then because I was truly led to believe it was only 6 miles. A fellow sloth and I were propped up towards the end by a poor chap holding us up and complaining about the 'stereo groaning and complaining'. My toes wince at the memory.

So all the more is my admiration and thanks for everything that you do on behalf of AS. Long may you train.

Lots of best wishes
Chesca (Baa)

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Dear Dear Valiants
in my younger days I was a runner of some county standard,now with creaky joints,puffing lungs and a heart with a funny heart beat I am stuffed.
I also very sheepishly congratulate ,you and envy you. I also feel very humble and I hope you carry on the good work
All very best wishes
Norman
[baa] [baa]

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968