Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Misslovely

Mar 22, 2021
Hi. It’s been recommended that my parent has a carbon monoxide alarm in her kitchen near he boiler and cooker.

I am looking into portable ones but I am not sure how this would work in terms of her recognising the alarm and not getting confused with the fire alarm.

I am not sure how loud these alarms are and if the person she lives with could hear it from upstairs.

Does anyone have any experience of these alarms or could offer any advice?

This forum has been fantastic so far. Thank you for your support

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Misslovely It`s good to hear you are pleased with the forum.

Does your parent have a care line? If so, the care company will provide a carbon monoxide alarm. your parent wouldn`t need to hear it. If the alarm went off it would alert the care line.

I have a careline and the carbon monoxide detector was installed as standard.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
These alarms are very loud. I do not think a portable alarm is a good idea. It could be moved to another room. It has to be in the same room as the boiler so needs to be fixed. Every home with a gas boiler should have one. If your parent evacuates just as if it were a fire alarm that's fine.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I agree that every home with a gas appliance needs one. We have one fixed to the wall up near the ceiling and it works like a fire alarm. I live with my OH, so there are no problems with responding to it, but I was going to suggest a care line too - you can both carbon monoxide and fire alarms connected to the care line so that if either goes off the care line is alerted.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
These alarms are very loud.

Not always to people with hearing impairment. It depends on the frequency of the hearing loss.

There is no smoke alarm on the market I can hear. Our local fire and rescue team fitted a smoke alarm for me and were shocked when there was no reaction from me when they tested it.

It is why I have a care line which includes a vibrator under my pillow and a flashing alert.

Many people with dementia do not process the sounds they hear. They might wonder where a sound is coming from and either be frightened or ignore it.

Care lines and key safes are life savers and I can`t over stress their importance.

Last edited:

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
I concur 100% with @Grannie G 's comment about sound processing. This is an increasing part of 'me' these days. We have an integrated fire system here which is enough to raise the dead and is something I react accordingly to even without hearing aids. If I would do the same with a CO alarm I dont' know.

Thanks to those who mention integrated alarms and care package systems. OH unaware.

Misslovely

Mar 22, 2021
Thanks for your replies. I don’t yet have Deputyship so I am reluctant to set up a care line package until I have it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968