Car seat covers

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Dear All

Has anyone had experience of waterproof car seat covers?

I have covers for chairs, beds, pillows and mattresses but can't find anything for car seats.

What is required is something which is absobent on the face and waterproof on the back, with either elasticated sides to fit over the seat or tapes that can be tied to keep the cover in place.

I suppose it may be possible to alter a chair cover, but as I am an engineer and not a seamstress that is beyond my abilities.

As we can't advertise you can send a PM if you can help.

Cheers Barraf

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Might be worth visiting your local farm shop - something like Countrywise, Countrywide or NWF - not sure who your local one would be. They do covers which are probably waterproof or at least resistant aimed at mucky farm animals and overalls. Worth a shot.

Kriss

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Hi Barraf,

Great suggestion from Kriss....

Another possibility would be for you to swing by your local furniture upholsterer and ask if they could make up some seat covers using curtain fabric with rubber backing. There's a pretty wide range of this available and it might just do the trick.

Jude

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Thanks for your replies

They made me shift myself and try other places that I hadn't thought of, as my Granny used to say two heads are better than one even if one is a sheeps head.

So I went to the local Mobility shop, they sell electric scooters and wheelchairs, so I thought there must be some incontinent customers for such things. Lo and behold they sell waterproof washable pads for wheelchairs, which fit nicely on a car seat. I have tucked it in at the back and sown a piece of elastic at the front to go over the seat, Perfeck.

Thanks again.

Barraf

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
dear barraf, great idea i am going to try that one.Also i am on the look out for a turntable thing for the car no not to play records on but to put mum on. It seems you sit on it then it helps you swing round into the car it looks brill as mum has trouble getting her legs into the car. storm

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
hi
you may beable to get one of these swivel seats from social services ,iwas told about this last week by the sister when she saw us trying to get JIM into the car with great difficulty,i dont have a car so had forgotten about it ,but there are occasions we try to go in other family members cars , so iwill put this on list of things to do ANGELA