Car ownership - practical advice required please

PennieB

Apr 14, 2021
Hi, I finally managed to see my Mum and Dad after not seeing them for 6 months. My Dad has had a diagnosis of Alzheimers in January and I was shocked his deterioration.

He has been driving all his life, but is in denial about being able to drive still. He is waiting for Dvla to write once they receive information from his GP. He will be 90 this year.

My Mum doesn't really drive the car they have now - she wants to part ex it for a smaller car. (she will be 80 next year) The car is registered in my Dad's name, and she is a named driver on the insurance. My Dad has always driven them about, but Mum has driven when it's an 'emergency' - probably over a year ago now.

I have discussed that maybe it's time not to have a car anymore, Dad may try to drive, money saved etc and she is thinking about this, but I said that I would try to find out how she stands with part exing the car as its in my Dad's name, and my Dad gets stroppy when she says she doesn't want to drive the car they have. Does she need to get ownership transferred to her first before she can part ex it?

Thank you for any advice
Pennie x

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Hi @PennieB November 2019 my husband didn’t get his license renewed by DVLA, so I took the decision to sell both of our cars. His was in his name, but I just part exchanged them both for another one, and just handed over all the paperwork, a lot of which is online now a days .

PennieB

Apr 14, 2021
Hi @PennieB November 2019 my husband didn’t get his license renewed by DVLA, so I took the decision to sell both of our cars. His was in his name, but I just part exchanged them both for another one, and just handed over all the paperwork, a lot of which is online now a days .
Thank you @Thethirdmrsc - I'm really hoping that they just sell the car, but at least there sounds like there won't be any issues if Mum wants to part ex

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
If you have Power of Attorney for your dad you can use that to sell the car. You need the V5C. I did this despite my father's opposition because he doesn't accept his diagnosis so in my view didn't have mental capacity to decide to keep the car ( after his licence was revoked by DVLA). It is going to be horrible wherever you do but probably best to get it over and done with. So long as the car is there, there's a danger.

Norrim07

Nov 26, 2022
If you have Power of Attorney for your dad you can use that to sell the car. You need the V5C. I did this despite my father's opposition because he doesn't accept his diagnosis so in my view didn't have mental capacity to decide to keep the car ( after his licence was revoked by DVLA). It is going to be horrible wherever you do but probably best to get it over and done with. So long as the car is there, there's a danger.
I dread this too, my dad is in complete denial and feels he just cannot be without a car no question.

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019
I lived in dread of my husband having to give up as he loved driving and I let him drive all the time to keep his skills up. We were both shocked when he had to give up after assessment. He kept driving the car when I was out so I arranged to sell it at car auction one day and just drove off with it without telling him first. Nobody questioned whether I could sell it even though he was the owner. After about 3 months he stopped asking me to try to get his licence back (he still does not acknowledge his illness - Alzheimers or as I tell him a problem with his brain) but now enjoys going out in the car with me driving so hopefully your dad will settle either with mum as driver or maybe using taxis with the money saved. Good luck - you are in the worst phase now - the indecision - I think things will settle down after the decision is taken .

Norrim07

Nov 26, 2022
I lived in dread of my husband having to give up as he loved driving and I let him drive all the time to keep his skills up. We were both shocked when he had to give up after assessment. He kept driving the car when I was out so I arranged to sell it at car auction one day and just drove off with it without telling him first. Nobody questioned whether I could sell it even though he was the owner. After about 3 months he stopped asking me to try to get his licence back (he still does not acknowledge his illness - Alzheimers or as I tell him a problem with his brain) but now enjoys going out in the car with me driving so hopefully your dad will settle either with mum as driver or maybe using taxis with the money saved. Good luck - you are in the worst phase now - the indecision - I think things will settle down after the decision is taken .
Thank you for your reply, really appreciated