Car Insurace

Amanda66

May 21, 2022
My Mum has recently been diagnosed with mixed dementia (vascular and alzhimers) the car insurance has always been in my Mum's name as she is the registered keeper and my Dad is down as the main driver.
My Mum hasn't driven for many years so that's not a problem it's just how do we get around this with the car insurance company?
Do we tell them now, or wait until my Mum's licence is up for renewal?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
What do you neeed to 'get round'. ? Is your mum still able/allowed to drive?

if not, you need to put it, and the car reg docs in yourdadsname

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
You must tell the insurance company the whole story. Concealment of the facts is the worst thing you can do in insurance matters. I would also transfer the car to your dad.

Bakerst

Mar 4, 2022
OH was insured on his van and a named driver on my car. I notified both insurances the same time we notified DVLA, they both thanked me for letting them know, no other action was taken by them. Although he is still technically on a medical licence, we got rid of his van and only I drive the car...even though he still thinks he can drive.

Pork Pie lady

Mar 16, 2013
Anglia
You are legally obliged to tell DVLA if mum still has a licence as she has a condition that will affect her ability to drive safely. It' not worth risking getting into problems.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Its mandatory to tell the DVLA if someone has dementia and you also have to tell the insurance company.
If she hasnt driven for many years I would transfer the car to her husbands name.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Your mum never drives so I suggest you tidy up the situation so as to save complications in the future. Surrender her driving license voluntarily, send it to Swansea. Get the vehicle keeper changed. Get the insurance changed to the new keeper. You will save yourself a lot of future hassle.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
When my husband was diagnosed I sent his license back to the DVLA . I wasn’t taking no for an answer. If he had injured someone with his driving, I felt that I would be responsible for aiding and abetting him.

The DVLA changed the documentation for registered keeper to myself with no problem, the same applied to the insurance who registered me as the only driver . I was previously named driver.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976