Car Disabled Badge

Mummysgirl

Jan 21, 2010
Hi, does anyone know if my dad is entitled to a disabled "blue badge" for his car, as mom has been diagnosed with Alzheimers?
Thanks
xx

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hi Mummysgirl,

Although I am disabled and have my own Blue Badge, when my husband was diagnoissed with AD he had his own.

Local Authority will help regarding the form and if I remember correctly, our G.P. just had to sign the form.

Best wishes
Christine

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Mummysgirl,
The way I understand it and the way it is in our case is that it is the cared for who qualifies and not the carer. You can only use the badge if the "patient" is in the car.

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
As winnie says, the blue badge is for the person who is "disabled" and they must be in the car whenever it is used.

As I understand it, AD alone does not qualify you for a blue badge, only if there is a mobility restriction involved.

For example we now have one for my mum as although she can shuffle along unaided, after a couple of hundred yards she is so off balance (because of the effects of AD) that she either falls or it can lead to an epileptic fit. However that has only been in the last year and she would not have been entitled to it for the previous 5 years when her AD was first diagnosed.

If you do apply (and although it is a national badge it is down to individual councils how/if they issue them), make sure your GP makes it very clear why she needs one. Always fill the form in as though it is a worst day scenario.

Good luck.

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
The first point to make is that it is in your mum’s name that the application for a badge has to be made.

Secondly, Blue Badges are only issued for people with mobility problems… so AD does not qualify on its own.

See this information.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/adobepdf/259428/281009/bluebadge.pdf

When I was in this position my mum’s doctor was initially not very helpful remarking that mum only had dementia.

I eventually got mum a blue badge by truthfully informing the doctor that mum’s illness was such that she could not be left to walk any distance on her own without the danger of tripping over uneven flags, kerbs, or her own feet.

Do get your dad to try to get the Blue Badge… but try to find a mobility reason.

Best wishes

Clive

vdg

Aug 6, 2009
Hampshire
My Mum has one because she has lung disease which means she can't walk far but I also stated on the application that I could never leave her sitting somewhere and expect her to still be there when I got back with the car because of the ad. I was told to paint the worst case scenario and I agree with others that you will need a mobility aspect as well as the ad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC