Capital below 14000

Lucykid

Apr 25, 2018
Hi can anyone help my mum has been in a home for over 3 years which is part paid by local authority they take her state pension and her very small pensionher flat was sold council received the monies now the yearly assessment has come through to be completed about her income and savings her capital which I just realised is now 12000 below what she should have retained can u claim back from council or ask for reduced monthly cost until the 14250 is in her account
Thank you

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to TP LucyKid. Sorry I can't answer your question, but the Alzheimer's Society have a helpline where you can get expert advice. Their number is 0300 222 11 .
It's open 9am - 8pm Monday to Wednesday, 9am - 5pm on Thursday and Friday, 10am - 4pm on Saturday and Sunday. You can also email them at helpline@alzheimers.org.uk.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Lucykid
and welcome from me too
I certainly would get straight back to the finance dept of the LA, or wherever the assessment has come from, and ask for an explanation of how their figures were reached, pointing out that your mum's savings appear to you to now be below the lower threshold of £14250 and you understood that a person in a care home had the right to keep that amount of their savings, so you believe a refund or re-calculation is needed.
at least then the LA will be aware that something seems to be wrong and give you an explanation
do let us know how they reply