Capacity to Decide Medical Care

SusanB

Jan 15, 2008
Hove
Hi all,

What is your take on this, I wonder?

Last year a Capacity test to decide Medical Care was done on Mum and she was deemed to have Capacity. That is, that she was able to understand her medical conditions (she isn't), that she understands the ramifications of not being treated (she isn't) and that she is able accept treatment for these conditions (she isn't)

A few examples:

She refused hospital admission a few weeks ago - she had collapsed as a result of her atrial fibrilation. An ambulance paramedic found serious problems with her heart and advised her that she needed to go to hospital immediately. As she had refused, they literally had to drive away.

She refused an IV anti-biotic treatment last year whilst in hospital (by the way, it took all my persuasive skills to get her in there in the first place as again, she had refused). She had cellulitis and was very poorly indeed and the evening anti-biotic refusal meant that it took a long time for her to get better. The nurses had no option but to respect her wishes.

There are many more examples of this but I think my main point is that situations in which she is ill require decisions to be made about treatment. As she has dementia, in extremis is when she doesn't have Capacity which is when she needs treatment!

Why does the mental health team assume that she has Capacity when she clearly doesn't? This is crystal clear to her family, her carers and her neighbours. How can a Doctor who sees her for 15 minutes every three months decide something so important and moreover, get it so wrong?

I'm in the process of "fighting" this dramatic mistake, with examples of Mum's inabiilty to decide medical care being sent to the pyschiatrist who made this decision. I feel strongly about this!!

Anyone else had this problem, I wonder? And how did you deal with it?

SusanB

Jan 15, 2008
Hove
Hi there,

Yes, it was done December 2009 at home by a CPN but we, as a family, didn't know that it was being done or we would have been able to supply some relevant information (examples of Mum NOT having Capacity and such like). The result was communicated to me on Dec 31st last year just out of the blue.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband refused his diabetic medication and the GP said we could not force him to take it. He did accept it eventually .
He also refused to take medication for osteoporosis . The calcium tablets had to be chewed and he didn`t like them.
He has an enlarged prostate gland and although he did accept the medication for it, refused to attend an outpatient appointment in case it meant surgery and admission to hospital.

He is still OK physically and doesn`t seem the worse for wear.

EmJ

Sep 26, 2007
Scotland
Hi Susan

This is an area that really does need to be highlighted more.

When my Granny was unable to understand decisions the power of attorney was activated so that her appointed attorney could make decisions on her behalf.

My family assumed that should she need medical treatment and refused her attorney would be consulted. But we learned this is not always the case and in some cases the doctor doesn't bother to consult & makes decisions without your knowledge.

My understanding is that if the person refuses you must try again at a different time to see if they consent then. If there is a relative the person is more familiar with see if they can help the person ie with meds.

When my granny was in hospital they used to give a drip at night as she was more settled then. The family also gave her her meds if she refused them from the nurses.

My family phoned Alzheimer Scotland when we felt things weren't right and they advised us what to do which did help.

You find you don't want to rock the boat as you worry about the consequences for your relative. It is so difficult.

Take care
EmJ