Capacity reassessment can I be present

Chris ibbs

Feb 4, 2016
My mum is been reassessed on her capacity on Friday . Was told by Social worker also think I've read on here that I should or could be present. Gp as rang today and said that I'm not allowed to be there Nor are any home staff its done one on one . Help

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
You could notify the CH that you want to be available to see your mum afterwards in case she is distressed. You can't be present for the 1:1 assessment but there's no reason why you can't spend time with her on Friday, or speak to the SW if they've got time to do that. Your input could be very useful to the SW's report.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Until she is deemed otherwise she still has capacity and so is entitled to doctor/patient confidentiality so I can see why the doctor might not want you there, likewise, they may feel having someone present could influence them just by their presence.
I've always attended all the appointments and test with both my mother and wife both of who had/have AZ and no one has ever objected, however, we have always been separated for at least part of the appointment and spoken to alone.
The phrase "capacity reassessment" doesn't come up very often, I take it there is some dispute over her capacity if so that would be a good reason (to me) to want neither side present as even the presence could be seen as an influence on them.
K