Can't stop falling asleep.

sleepy sue

Mar 28, 2020
I have had mini lapses in consciousness at least five times since I found this page. I don't feel sleepy. I just fall asleep for about anywhere from a minute to hours. I have been in Hospital three times with losing consciousness for hours at a time and being unable to be roused. The first time I woke up on my floor nine hours after I remember standing up at the counter preparing lunch. So I went to the hospital and it happened again in hospital. I ended up in the intensive care unit where they came to the conclusion that I had taken an overdose of drugs. I am 63 and I have suffered migraine all my life which ended with menopause. I had a stroke five years ago but I have since recovered pretty well. I write, I read, I have had to deal with mountains of paperwork since my husband died 11 months ago so my brain seems to be functioning ok. I am meticulous about my medications and use a docette ( where my medications are separated for morning and night. I NEVER have taken more than was required. The hospital drastically reduced my medications but it has happened again. My friend called the paramedics when she couldn't get me by phone several times and they couldn't rouse me either. It took 15 minutes of them pinching me and yelling. Finally I woke up and convinced them that everything was OK. I was fully conscious, knew the time, date, day, month etc. and so they let it go because the hospital is the last place you want to be these days with Covid-19. Since then I do get that " funny head" that a previous poster mentioned and I am falling asleep even during conversations, which is scary for the person on the other end.
I have had numerous cognition tests because of my stroke every three months or so and I do great. So what's going on?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @sleepy sue
a warm welcome to DTP
whatever is going on, you really do need to get your GP to look into this, everything is not OK ... how on earth are you functioning each day ... and without being harmed
I have heard of narcolepsy, maybe do an online search to check that

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I wondered about some form of epilepsy too.
Whatever it is, it needs a doctor to investigate. I know this is a bad time, but try and get an appointment with the GP

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
I was thinking some form of epilepsy or narcolepsy too. It definitely needs investigating urgently, especially as it appears that you live on your own and could therefore be at risk of injury when you have an attack.