Can't Stop Crying!

Martini

Feb 28, 2018
Just joined TP today and don't really know where to start! My Mum is quite high functioning but I used to be really close to her but ever since her memory started to deteriorate she has become more depressed, anxious, and now that my Dad is facing cancer she is like a frightened little girl. Although we all love Mum, I really miss the person she was. Most of my friends have parents who are younger and some of them have young families themselves. Whilst I'm in a relationship now, I have had to let go of all of past ideas of having Mum & Dad build relationships with grandchildren because they are simply too old and unwell, and I know that my energy will be going into helping them whilst my last reproductive years dwindle away. Double grief!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Because the prognosis with both dementia and cancer is not good it is not surprising you are despondent. You will obviously help all you can but can’t change what is to come. Meanwhile don’t let the chance of some happiness slip through your fingers. Sometimes you have to adopt a fatalistic attitude just to get by. It is very hard.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Martini, as has been said, it's little wonder that you are feeling the strain.
If you think it would help to chat with someone, why not try the helpline. The details are:-

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.

Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

In the meantime, just keep posting here as people will understand and be as helpful as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brose