Can't get a diagnosis

Lulubelle74

Apr 16, 2018
Hi

I'm guessing this is probably common but just wanted to ask. My Dad was referred to the Memory Clinic, had the tests then we went for the diagnosis last week. However, they want to re-test in another six weeks as they think he may still be suffering the after effects of an infection (combined with delirium) he had in April. They also stressed not to change his circumstances so that he can settle and recover. Well he's just started a trial period in an assisted living place close to us. He likes it and wants to stay on a longer term basis but has wandered at night and called us at 2.00 am, 4.00 am etc. so we're hoping that improves, if he he'll be back with us and we were struggling to cope.

Does it often take months to get a dignosis? I guess ultimately it doesn't make much difference? If he can't stay in the assisted place we will have to look at homes, which is a pity as his current one is small and friendly. Thanks in advance.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
If only they could find a cure for wandering at least the dementia problem would be much reduced. It is so difficult to deal with and can be so dangerous. I suppose all you can do now is find a home that might work and put his name down just in case. He might like it if there is company and good activities going on.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My experience with my wife was that it took in excess of a year to get a diagnosis. I can also recall other members commenting on the long delays in getting a diagnosis.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Having f difficulty even getting to a memory clinic! I guess the upside is that I am currently in the process of getting lpa and hoping the doctor will sign the forms - he can't have it both ways!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
It took us too goes to get the GP to refer my mother to the memory clinic. We got her there but she refused to talk to the nurse. She did go through with the brain scan which said there were just normal signs of aging. We're gently persuading my mother to go back to the GP to get him to explain what the letter meant. The real idea being that we'll then signal to the doctor that we want further tests as my mother is far from 'normal' for any age at the moment.
As for LPA it's very much worth doing, but not sure that if you got the GP to sign it he'd feel he was committing himself one way or another as to whether the person it was for had dementia.

Lulubelle74

Apr 16, 2018
Thanks for all your comments. Luckily I've just been granted LPA so that's in place and his house is up for sale. Memory clinic have agreed to retest sooner rather than later and an occupational therapist will assess him soon. However, as he's in good physical shape I guess he'll be fine there as he can walk, make a cup of tea, wash and dress himself. We are trying to keep him busy and awake as I suspect it's the napping/dozing in the afternoons and evenings that aren't helping. If it continues will ask the GP to consider an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety type medication as not only does he awake but gets very anxious as well hence he looks for company so even if we could tackle that it would help. I can well imagine that this is what sends people to a nursing home as a lot of night disruption is very difficult, and distressing if the person thinks they are going to be attacked, to cope with.