Cannot stand but can walk

Runawaytrain

May 17, 2021
My OH has spent the last 2 hours trying to stand up from his bed;. it frequently takes this long, other times he can get up in a few minutes, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it. Once he’s up he can walk around fine, with or without a zimmer. We had the bed raised last week but I think the problem is one of increasing frailty (eats very little, wasting away) so he has insufficient strength and also his brain is not always communicating with his legs. He is having a memory assessment here at home next Friday; what else can I do before then? Contact SS for some sort of assessment? Get back to the OT? Go straight to a care company? The problem with the latter is that even if they came in to get him up, after they leave if he wanted to stand up again it would just be me here to help and he vociferously refuses to let me help him. All the time that he is trying to get up he is shouting and moaning at himself in frustration, wearing himself out in the process. Of course, I could just keep him in bed until the memory assessment (we have managed to change his pull ups on the bed before, even pooh-y ones!) but my fear is that he is on the verge of becoming bedridden. My head is scrambled at the moment.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Runawaytrain
I would get back to the OT about this problem. You can get standing aides which might do the trick and the OT can assess him and get you one if it will help. The carers should be able to use it although you might have to get this added to his care plan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband used to have difficulty getting up from the table even though he was still mobile.

The problem was, instead of pressing down on the table to help him get up, he pushed the table away
from him.

I didn`t know about standing aids at the time. I wish I had.

It only happened after dinner and I put it down to confusion caused by sundowning. He was fine after breakfast and lunch.

SERENA50

Jan 17, 2018
My OH has spent the last 2 hours trying to stand up from his bed;. it frequently takes this long, other times he can get up in a few minutes, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it. Once he’s up he can walk around fine, with or without a zimmer. We had the bed raised last week but I think the problem is one of increasing frailty (eats very little, wasting away) so he has insufficient strength and also his brain is not always communicating with his legs. He is having a memory assessment here at home next Friday; what else can I do before then? Contact SS for some sort of assessment? Get back to the OT? Go straight to a care company? The problem with the latter is that even if they came in to get him up, after they leave if he wanted to stand up again it would just be me here to help and he vociferously refuses to let me help him. All the time that he is trying to get up he is shouting and moaning at himself in frustration, wearing himself out in the process. Of course, I could just keep him in bed until the memory assessment (we have managed to change his pull ups on the bed before, even pooh-y ones!) but my fear is that he is on the verge of becoming bedridden. My head is scrambled at the moment.
Hi

Dad had a rail type thing fitted to the side of his bed so he could pull himself up and push on it to standing. I think the messages get through sometimes to his legs better than other times with Dad. Some days he is almost sprightly but other days can hardly stand and that can vary during a day as well, especially when he starts to get tired you may see it more . I would ask the OT to come and assess your OH and see if there is anything that will help on the days when he struggles, like you say its exhausting for him and also for you too watching him struggle. Take Care x

Smilerswife

Jan 20, 2022
Hi, I'm new to the forum. My husband was unable to stand unaided and we were given a brilliant aid called a Sara Steady. Your OT should know about it. My OH was able to use it for about 6 months until the strength went out of his legs completely following a bad water infection. I hope this helps.

Sunshine2*

May 16, 2019
Hi,

Yes, my husband had the use of a Sara Stedy whilst in hospital. It is a brilliant piece of equipment and was used to transfer him from bed/wheelchair to the bathroom.

Runawaytrain

May 17, 2021
Thank you for your replies; I have contacted the OT provider and hope to speak to someone tomorrow. The Sara Steady sounds like it might do the trick.