Cancelling holiday

HeidiLou

Feb 14, 2020
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and wondered if I could ask for some advice please?

My 80 year old mum has Lewy Body dementia and is in a nursing home. She is well and stable at the moment. I am considering booking a holiday for myself and my children, but just a bit worried about losing money if I needed to cancel because mum deteriorated. Has anyone any experience of this? I have spoken to one insurance company who said I would not get any refunds if it was a pre-existing condition. However, as people can live well with dementia for years I'm wondering if this would be an exception?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @HeidiLou and welcome to DTP.
You cant just put your life on hold on the offchance that your mum might deteriorate. What would happen if she lived for several more years? You cant just not go on holiday.

Also, most people with dementia, unless they die of something like a heart attack, do not pass away quickly - they decline slowly over the days and weeks. If your mum is well and stable then she is unlikely to pass away while you are on holiday. Not impossible, of course (nothing in life, or death, is certain) but unlikely and you really cant plan for everything.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
As required I have advised my insurance company of the position (rolling annual policy) and they advised I wouldn't be covered.

I agree that dementia can be unpredictable and I don't think this is a reasonable stance - so far since mum's diagnosis we have only been to France and if the worst came to the worst I would get a train home leaving the family behind.

I know that when a neighbour's father was dying of cancer, and they cancelled the holiday they didn't get a refund. The cancer had been present a while, wasn't expected to deteriorate etc, they didn't notify the insurance co of the condition so it was a bit of a shock when they didn't get a refund. I think they would have gone on the holiday if they had known.

I do agree with canary's comments - unless there is any indication of a downturn all should be well.

HeidiLou

Feb 14, 2020
Hello @HeidiLou and welcome to DTP.
You cant just put your life on hold on the offchance that your mum might deteriorate. What would happen if she lived for several more years? You cant just not go on holiday.

Also, most people with dementia, unless they die of something like a heart attack, do not pass away quickly - they decline slowly over the days and weeks. If your mum is well and stable then she is unlikely to pass away while you are on holiday. Not impossible, of course (nothing in life, or death, is certain) but unlikely and you really cant plan for everything.
Thank you for this....you’re right, you can’t plan for everything.

HeidiLou

Feb 14, 2020
As required I have advised my insurance company of the position (rolling annual policy) and they advised I wouldn't be covered.

I agree that dementia can be unpredictable and I don't think this is a reasonable stance - so far since mum's diagnosis we have only been to France and if the worst came to the worst I would get a train home leaving the family behind.

I know that when a neighbour's father was dying of cancer, and they cancelled the holiday they didn't get a refund. The cancer had been present a while, wasn't expected to deteriorate etc, they didn't notify the insurance co of the condition so it was a bit of a shock when they didn't get a refund. I think they would have gone on the holiday if they had known.

I do agree with canary's comments - unless there is any indication of a downturn all should be well.
Thank you. Just trying to work out whether I should mention it to the insurance company or not. When you apply online they don’t even ask about the health of relatives.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Thank you. Just trying to work out whether I should mention it to the insurance company or not. When you apply online they don’t even ask about the health of relatives.

I don't think it will affect your cover if you do or don't mention it - as you aren't likely to be covered.

I suspect you have indicated that you have informed them of all the medical conditions of anyone whose health will affect the holiday as you go through it - I did an online policy for my daughter in the summer and it did ask the question.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej