Canadian Alzheimer’s Forum

Hello everyone.

My mother has had dementia since 2000. She is originally from Talacre North Wales but has lived in Canada since 1949. She is 79 years old.

I am her primary care giver (‘Carer’) and I am 53 years old. She is now in a long term care facility (LTCF).
Alzheimer’s and other dementias do not discriminate. These diseases affect
everyone around the world. I have been a member of the Alzheimer’s Society
Forum in Canada since Jan 2006. http://www.alzheimer.ca/english/forums/intro.htm
Just click on ‘Forum’s’ and then ‘Message Boards’.

At the top of our ‘Message Boards page’ look for ‘Search’ on the tool bar. You can type in subjects or words that you want to see previous postings about.

There have been thousands of postings regarding the care, problems and joys of the journey of our loved ones and our struggles as Primary Care Givers.

If you would like to visit our Forum, and we visit yours, perhaps we can share our ideas?

Your thoughts?

Hugs
Jennifer

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi Jennifer

I never know what to put in the title of these messages!

I was just taken by the fact that your mother comes from Talacre, as I believe so did my great great grandfather, John Davies born in 1841. I know there is no possible connection between us, and not after so long ago, but he is actually recorded as born in Llanasa, but I know he lived in Talacre, and I remember there being a holiday camp there in the 1950s I think, cos I went there with my mum and dad and cousin Kathryn whose mum died when she was 6 months old.

Keep on helping people on this site. It is the saddest website I can imagine and yet everyone is so kind and helpful. Well, we are all in the same boat aren't we?

Love

Margaret

PS If your mum does happen to remember a family called Davies or Davis from Talacre, let me know. Yes, like there will be a thousand of them!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Margaret W said:
I never know what to put in the title of these messages!

Margaret, you don't need to put a title to a message, only the start of a new thread, or a PM.

Of course, you can give a title if you want to, and sometimes it helps, but most of the time I don't bother.

Love,

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Hello Jennifer,

My wife, Dee has AD and is still at home with me.

She was born here in North Wales at St Asaph just a few miles inland from Talacre.

She has lots of relatives in B.C. and some in Vancouver. All due to emmigration circa 1912. Have visited your lovely country a number of times and seen most of the relatives. Now we're in contact by post and telephone to the close relatives.

Small world - will visit your forum,

With best wishes

Hello Margaret and Cliff,

Yes, Margaret, it does not matter where we live; we are all in the same boat. Alzheimer’s and other dementia’s do not discriminate. As long as we have the Alzheimer’s Forums to come to, we will find answers and helping hands to reach out to us to guide us through the journey. It is an amazing journey…so multi faceted.

If you go to my profile there are a couple of sites you may be interested in….

Cliff, My mother nursed in St. Asaph I believe. I lived in Prestatyn/Talacre for a year in 1964 when I was 12. I visited last September 2006 and was in St. Asaph.

It is a small world and a lot smaller than we think it is. We all have the same difficulties with loved ones with dementias and we Carers all have similar challenges but we will prevail. We will cry our eyes out and then wipe them away to move forward. We are strong in that enduring love we carry inside of us for our loved ones. That love will get us through anything. It is the strongest tool we have to make those difficult decisions that come our way as the diseases progress.

We also have lots of people in these postings that have ‘been there’ through turmoil, tragedy and tears; but have survived the unthinkable. We can pull together. We can cry together. We can laugh at ourselves and with our loved ones and each other. We can grasp a quality of life for our loved one within the limitations of these diseases. If we can succeed in a quality of life; for however long or short; for our loved ones (and ourselves) then we will have taken back our powers from these neurological diseases; and our loved ones can say, “I may have been ill, but I still did it my way.”

Wow, what an accomplishment for someone society thinks doesn’t value their quality of life. As Carers we know how important that is. It’s not just feeding, changing, and bathing. It is all about feeling valued, loved, and secure, protected, and treated respectfully and with kindness. It’s about being hugging and touching and stroking the loved one for within this, we cradle their souls. Its about being listened to even if one cannot speak – there are so many other ways to communicate. Its about minimal use of harmful drugs and Carers being ‘consulted’ about every aspect of our loved ones care in the home – What a concept – Carers and Power of Attorney’s being consulted. These characteristics are the most important aspects of Care Giving because without these, it doesn’t matter about the feeding changing or bathing; because nobody wants to be here who isn’t ‘loved’. This is true for us but especially true for our loved ones with dementia.

I am grateful we have Forums to share and care and know we are never alone.

Jennifer

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Thanks Jennifer.

'Knowledge is power' and all that. And the more information and knowledge we can gain and share must be of benefit to all of us searching for help and support in dealing with that we are faced with.

Always interesting to see things from another persepctive - especially how indiscriminate global problems (dementia being just one example) are perceived and handled under other jurisdictions and cultures.

Love, Karen (Tender Face), x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti