Can You Ride Tandem

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Has anyone had any experience of their partner accompanying them on the rear of a tandem cycle ? I love to cycle, we live in the country, roads are fairly quite traffic-wise, and I only go for half hour to 1 hour. My wife often says "I wish I could come". She has never been very good on a bike but 5 years ago on holiday we hired a tandem cycle and she enjoyed it. Five years on, she is worse with AD and I cannot find anywhere (local) that has 1 for hire. I would like to try before I buy, but if anyone has any experience / views I would like to hear.
cris

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Chris,
Have no idea, no experience, but sounds a brilliant idea. Hope you find somewhere to hire soon, hope it works and hope you enjoy it!!
Love Helen

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Thanks Hazel, that's a brilliant link. I have seen tandems with 3 wheels (2 at rear) and riders are positioned 1 behind the other, but I do like the side-by-side seating position. A neighbour has said about ones that hook on, but I can only find kiddie seats. But I shall certainly explore that link.
many thanks cris:eek:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Cris

while your idea is a very good one, I'm just going to hurl in a note of caution here, and it is all to do with the stage your wife is at. I don't know the stage, of course, but you can judge that. Early stages - fine, mid and later stages, just be careful!

My wife Jan grew increasingly ill at ease in the car as her condition progressed.

The last long trip we made was to Cornwall. We had to return early because she was very agitated. Halfway home she grew very restive in the car, so I pulled into a lay-by for a short break.

At that point Jan grew even more agitated and wanted to get out. I knew that, in her condition, in the middle of the countryside by a busy road, this would not be a good idea, so I told her that 'home' was just a short distance further.

For the remainder of the journey, some 2 hours, I had to constantly reassure her, with the doors all locked, as we drove along - not the best way to be in full control of a fast moving vehicle. We made it, thankfully.

I just pale at the thought of being somewhere on a road - country or otherwise - with a partner on the back of a tandem, and with their suddenly throwing a mental wobbly. Safety, stress, etc all come to mind.

So, by all means have a go, but always be prepared for the unexpected.

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Appreciate your cautionary note Bruce. That is one reason why I would like to hire one first. First outings would only be 15 mins and perhaps build up to 30 if all went well. We have lived here for 17 years and they are familiar roads to her (at the moment anyway) and she has expressed the desire to join me. This is another reaon why I am asking for others experiences etc.
thanks cris

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix