Can you help please......

EllieS

Aug 23, 2005
SOMERSET
Can anyone help answer this question for me please:

If one County Council is contributing to care home costs, but patient is living in a.n. other Council area - which Council has the responsibility for assessing for continuing care funding?

Fingers crossed somebody knows the answer to this as I've been and am still being tossed around by so many different people, it's destroying me!

Thank you.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Strictly speaking, it's noting to do with either council, but is entirely down to the PCT with which the person is registered. Have you read this http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/download_info.php?fileID=75?

In says (in part)

Five steps to getting a continuing
care assessment
1 Find out which is your local primary care trust (PCT).
2 Ask the PCT to assess the person for NHS continuing healthcare.
3 The Decision Support Tool has been developed to help support
practitioners in the application of the National Framework. It portrays
needs based on criteria, specifically 11 care domains. Ask the PCT to
provide you with detailed information about the process involved.
4 Ask the PCT when they will begin the assessment process, and make the
PCT aware that you wish to participate fully in the process yourself.
5 Ask the PCT to ensure you are given the opportunity to see the full Decision
Support Tool before you comment on your perceptions of the patients’ needs.

Having said all that, I have read of PCTs getting into spirited discussions with other PCTS about this issue. You would be best served, I think, by contacting the helpline.

Edited to add: it occurs to me the runaround you're getting is with regard to the initial assessment which is often farmed out to local authority social workers. However, this is entirely the responsibility of the PCT, so if the LA won't do this initial assessment they (the PCT) will have to find someone who will do it.

It is the responsibility of the NHS to assess need for NHS continuing healthcare. If you
are unsure whether an assessment has been made or you want to request one, contact
your local primary care trust and ask for the NHS continuing healthcare co-ordinator.
To find out the name of this co-ordinator, ask at your local GP surgery or speak to the
local patient advice and liaison service, known as PALS. To get contact details for PALS,
call NHS Direct on 0845 4647. Alternatively, you can find your local primary care trust
at www.nhs.uk/servicedirectorieswhere there is a link.

Last edited:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Ellie ... I can’t give any practical advice ... but know I was concerned when I moved my mum outside her ‘borough’ and her PCT boundaries and had a few issues about ‘assessments’.

I really feel you should be getting support from the care home staff on this .... have you spoken to the manager/administrator?

Love, Karen, x